With the cooler months around the corner, we are ready for some new and classic soup recipes at our house! We made this One-Pot Light Chicken Tortilla Soup for a veggie packed meal for the family. This soup packs a punch with flavor and has less sodium than any canned versions.
Making soup at home is usually a pretty easy meal to put on the table. And generally, you can pack it up with some extra vegetables that cook down in the broth. One of my favorite soups when we go out to eat is chicken tortilla soup. I wanted to make a pot at home and load it up with some extra vegetables. We like ours with a little kick so I added a jalapeno but of course you can go without. Then top the soup off with some tortilla chips, avocado, and a squeeze of lime juice for extra flavor.
Key Ingredients for this One-Pot Light Chicken Tortilla Soup
Health Benefits of Chicken Broth
Chicken and chicken broth is so good for us especially when we are feeling under the weather. Loaded with protein and some fatty acids that can help repair our muscles in our body. The broth is loaded with minerals and vitamins that can help our immune system. It can help us rehydrate and help us feel warm when chilled. And since chicken broth is low in calories, it can help us with weight management, too!
How to Make this Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
First start by heating the oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Then add in the onions, the pepper, and the carrots. Let cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. Add in the chili powder and mix well.
Next add the chicken broth and the tomatoes. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and add in the chicken and half of tortilla chips. Simmer 3-4 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Top soup with the remaining tortilla chips, avocado, and jalapeno (optional).
Make sure to PIN IT!
Frequently Asked questions:
Can I make this chicken tortilla soup in the slow cooker?
Yes! This recipe will adapt well to the slow cooker. Just add all of the ingredients and cook on low for about 5-6 hours or until the chicken will shred easily. Like using your Instant Pot? That will work, too.
Can I use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth?
Yes, of course vegetable broth with swap easily in this recipe.
Can I use leftover chicken?
Sure! Have some leftover chicken or rotisserie style chicken? Just stir it in after you cook the vegetables and make the broth.
Can I freeze this chicken tortilla soup?
Yes! Soup freezes very well. Just make sure you use your favorite air tight containers or even large Zip-lock bags.
One-Pot Light Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large sweet onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 cups no-salt-added chicken broth
- 1 28 oz. can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 3.5 ounces unsalted corn tortilla chips divided
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1 jalapeño seeded, diced (optional)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, pepper and carrots, and let cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. Add chili powder and mix well.
- Add broth and tomatoes. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to low, add chicken and half of tortilla chips. Simmer 3-4 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Top soup with remaining tortilla chips, avocado and jalapeno (optional).