Green beans get a tangy makeover with this simple recipe. It packs a punch of flavor that will liven up lunchboxes, dinner or cookouts.
Growing up, this green bean salad was often my mom’s go-to potluck dish for parties. She would use rice wine vinegar when she made it in the spring and summer but would switch to Balsamic vinegar when making it for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
When I started making it, my boys loved it and I realized it would be a great item to add to their lunchboxes.
You can quickly steam fresh green beans in a glass, microwave-safe dish (with a lid) by adding a splash of water and cooking for 4 – 5 minutes.
Nutrition Tip: Whatever your thing is – sports, music, writing, teaching – you’ll do better with extra iron in your diet. Green beans are a good source of iron which helps you do your best.
This recipe is easy to customize to your family’s taste. Here are some good substitutions:
- Make it meatless. Use sunflower seeds in place of bacon or add chickpeas for an extra boost of protein.
- Switch up the veggies or cheese. Mix and match veggies and cheeses while still using the same vinaigrette. Try the delicious combo of asparagus, prosciutto, and goat cheese or add cooked and quartered red potatoes for a quick, healthy potato salad.
- Vinegar. We love it with either rice wine vinegar or Balsamic vinegar.
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox.
Looking for more lunchbox solutions?
- Best Lunch Boxes For Kids
- 25+ Nut Free Lunchbox Ideas
- 34+ Non-Sandwich Lunchbox Ideas
- 10+ Ways To Add More Fruits & Veggies To Your Child’s Lunchbox
- Ultimate Guide For Packing Healthy Lunches
- 12+ Gluten-free Lunchbox Ideas
5-Minute Green Bean Vinaigrette Salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 12 oz. package green beans, steamed
- 4 slices turkey bacon cooked, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Whisk oil, vinegar and mustard in large bowl until emulsified.
- Add green beans and bacon. Mmix until well coated. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve cold or warm.
Other Items in this Lunch:
- 1/2 whole wheat pita with 2 Tbsp. hummus
- 1/2 apple, sliced with 1 Tbsp. peanut butter