Homemade soup can be lower in sodium and calories, with more veggies than some traditional canned soups. Double the batch for the next rainy night for an easy supper.
Roasted Vegetable Chicken Soup
- 3 large carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 quart reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup baby spinach chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice cooked according to package
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lay carrots, celery, mushrooms and onion single layer on foil-lined baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Heat oil in large saucepot on medium-high heat; Add chicken and cook 3-5 minutes or until cooked through. Add vegetables, spinach, parsley, rice, broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 5-10 minutes, or until heated through.