Homemade soup can be lower in sodium and calories, with more veggies than some traditional canned soups. Double the batch for the next rainy night for an easy supper.
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 quart reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked according to package
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lay carrots, celery, mushrooms and onion single layer on foil-lined baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Heat oil in large saucepot on medium-high heat; Add chicken and cook 3-5 minutes or until cooked through. Add vegetables, spinach, parsley, rice, broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 5-10 minutes, or until heated through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 556Total Fat: 13gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 656mgCarbohydrates: 85gFiber: 5gProtein: 33g