This Italian orzo pasta salad can be made ahead up to three days in advance and keeps well, making it a great option for lunchboxes, picnics and travel.
We love making pasta salads as an easy lunch option, a side dish for dinner or to bring along on picnics. This easy orzo pasta salad recipe has only 7 ingredients and is ready in less than 15 minutes. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
You can add 2 tablespoons of chopped kalamata olives for a little tang or sprinkle with 2 tablespoons crumbled feta for a creamier dish. Feel free to get a little creative, and if you do, come back and tell us what you made and how you liked it! We are also looking for easy pasta salad recipes that the whole family will love.
Nutrition Tip: Cherry tomatoes are filled with antioxidants, such as lycopene and beta-carotene, which are linked to reducing the risk of certain types of cancers.
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox.
Looking for more lunchbox solutions?
- 25+ Nut Free Lunchbox Ideas
- 34+ Non-Sandwich Lunchbox Ideas
- 10+ Ways To Add More Fruits & Veggies To Your Child’s Lunchbox
- Ultimate Guide For Packing Healthy Lunches
- 12+ Gluten-free Lunchbox Ideas
Italian Orzo Pasta Salad
- 3/4 cup orzo
- 3/4 cup chopped broccoli florets chopped
- 3/4 cup halved yellow and red cherry tomatoes halved
- 2/3 cup low-sodium garbanzo beans drained, rinsed
- 2 sprigs basil chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil and vinegar dressing
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and do not rinse. Pour into large mixing bowl.
- Prepare ice bath by placing a few cubes of ice with water in medium bowl.
- Place broccoli in covered microwaveable dish with 1 Tbsp. water. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds. Drain and transfer to ice bath for 30 seconds. Drain and add to orzo.
- Add tomatoes, garbanzo beans, basil, cheese, and dressing to orzo and broccoli. Toss and season with pepper as desired. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.