A lightened-up version of the classic Cuban dish, Ropa Vieja. So easy to make, just add all ingredients to the slow cooker in the morning and dinner will be done when you get home. The baked plantains are a tasty take on their fried counterparts.
Healthy Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja with Baked Plantain Chips
Healthy Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 large red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 large green bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 sweet onion sliced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound lean flank steak
Baked Plantain Chips
- 2 firm green plantains peeled, cut diagonally into slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Healthy Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja
- Add broth, peppers, onion, lime juice, tomato paste, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and peas to slow cooker; mix well. Add steak and coat with mixture. Cook on low for 7-8 hours. Shred steak in slow cooker when ready to serve.
- Baked Plantain Chips
- Place slices on parchment lined baking sheet and brush with oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake in oven 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.