These fun, festive parfaits are perfect for summer cookouts, Memorial Day and Fourth of July! The delicious combination of berries, coconut and yogurt make these a protein-packed treat that can be enjoyed as a snack, dessert or even breakfast.
We used some of our favorite in-season berries to create these healthy yogurts parfaits and layered them into deliciousness.
Why We Love Greek Yogurt Snacks
- It is a good source of protein. Greek yogurt has twice the amount of protein as regular yogurt.
- It is low in calories. A single serving of Greek yogurt contains only 100 calories.
- It is high in calcium. Greek yogurt is rich in calcium, which is important for bone health. A single serving of Greek yogurt contains 20% of the recommended daily intake of calcium.
- It is easy to digest. Greek yogurt contains live and active cultures, which help to break down the lactose in the milk, making it easier to digest than other types of dairy products.
Why We Love Adding Berries to Yogurt Parfaits
When it comes to a delicious and nutritious breakfast or afternoon snack, a yogurt parfait is always a great option. Raspberries and blueberries are incredibly delicious, but they also offer a host of health benefits. And, of course, we all love strawberries!
Raspberries are packed with antioxidants, which can help protect your cells from damage and may reduce your risk of some chronic diseases. Blueberries are also high in antioxidants, as well as vitamins C and K. Plus, they’re a good source of fiber.
So not only do strawberries, raspberries and blueberries taste great, but they can also help you start your day off on the right foot, or keep your healthy eating in check during the afternoon slump.
Why Shredded Coconut is a Yummy Addition
This tropical ingredient is the perfect finishing touch to this healthy dessert.
- It adds a delicious flavor: Shredded coconut has a sweet, nutty flavor that compliments the other ingredients in a parfait perfectly.
- It’s healthy: Coconut is packed with vitamins and minerals, making it a great addition to any dessert.
- It’s easy to find: Shredded coconut can be found at most grocery stores, so you can easily add it to any of your favorite recipes at home. It’s in the baking aisle at my store.
What About Granola? Can I Add Some of That to My Parfait?
Sure! It’s your parfait, so it’s your rules. Granola is always a yummy addition in a yogurt parfait. Granola is a healthy option for breakfast or snacks. Thanks to the fact it is made with rolled oats, nuts, and seeds, it is high in fiber and protein.
We opted to skip it in favor of the shredded coconut for our recipe because we were sticking with a red, white, and blue theme, but you can add anything you want to your parfait.
Why We Used Agave Nectar
Plain Greek yogurt can be a little sour, so we added some sweetener to it. Feel free to switch up your flavor of yogurt and leave the agave out if desired.
Agave nectar is a natural sweetener made from the agave plant. It has a lower glycemic index than sugar, so it doesn’t cause spikes in blood sugar levels. Agave nectar is available at most supermarkets and health food stores.
When shopping for agave nectar, look for brands that are organic and fair trade certified. These brands will have the best flavor and quality. We like to avoid brands that are processed with chemicals or artificial ingredients.
Can You Make These Ahead of Time?
Yes! Parfait desserts are the perfect make-ahead treat for any occasion. By layering fruit, yogurt, and shredded coconut, you can create a delicious and healthy dessert that will be loved by everyone. In fact, making them ahead of time will help the sweetness of the berries come out a little more and lend even more sweetness to the Greek yogurt.
How Long Can Yogurt Parfait Last in the Fridge?
Yogurt parfaits will last in the fridge for three to four days. Be sure to keep them covered. If you’re using granola, it can be stored in a separate container and added just before serving. Otherwise, the granola could get a little soggy on you.
So, next time you’re looking for a healthy, grab-and-go breakfast option or an easy dessert, make a yogurt parfait!
- 2 cups plain lowfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut plus 1/4 tsp. for garnish
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 star fruit sliced
- Mix yogurt, coconut and agave in bowl.
- Layer berries and yogurt mixture to create red, white and blue layers in tall glass. Top with remaining berries and coconut. Garnish with star fruit slice.