Ready in 30 minutes, these Chicken Apple Enchiladas are a must try! Healthy, delicious and internationally-inspired, your family will love this easy dinner recipe. While this post is sponsored by Envy Apples, all opinions and the recipe are own own.
Easy dinner ideas. We all need them. Easy dinner ideas that are also healthy and delicious, well, that’s a huge bonus. And that’s exactly what these Chicken Apple Enchiladas are. Chicken apple you say? Yep, I added apple to our chicken enchiladas. Personally, I think chicken and apples go great together, and I am always looking for the chance to add in additional nutrients to meals, so this was the perfect opportunity.
National Nutrition Month is coming and this year the theme is Celebrate A World Of Flavors, and this Chicken Apple Enchiladas recipe is the perfect recipe to add to your meal plan.
Adding internationally-inspired meals to your meal plan gives you the opportunity to try new recipes with your family, but it also gives you the opportunity to talk about nutrition and the origin of the meals. I know I am always appreciative of a little extra dinner conversation inspiration 🙂
What are enchiladas?
Enchiladas are either corn or flour tortillas rolled around a filling and topped with a savory sauce.
What are typical enchilada fillings?
You can fill your enchiladas with a variety of ingredients! Typically it’s meat, cheese and/or vegetables.
What do you serve with enchiladas?
I served ours with an homemade apple pico de gallo, yellow rice and black beans.
I actually made the apple salsa with all the ingredients I had on hand to make this recipe, plus some tomatoes and a little lime juice. It was so easy to make and absolutely delicious! I ate it with chips and we also put it on top of the rice and beans.
What type of dish are enchiladas?
Enchiladas originated from Mexican cuisine.
Chicken Apple Enchiladas Key Ingredients
- Tortillas – I used the low-carb flour tortillas.
- Envy Apple
- Enchilada sauce – you can use red or green.
I used chicken in a few recipes this past week, I like to make extra and use it in several recipes, it’s a huge time-saver! You can use shredded chicken, chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken in your chicken apple enchiladas, pick whatever is easiest for you!
If you do make extra chicken (well, even if you don’t 😉 ), be sure to try our Greek Chicken Bowls and Easy Chicken Curry. You could also add chicken to our Sweet Kale Salad Fried Rice for some added protein.
Now, the type of apple you use to make these Chicken Apple Enchiladas is important, you don’t want a softer apple because you are sauteing it and you do want it to have a nice burst of flavor. You are sauteing the apple with the onion and jalapeno, so you have a balance of sweet and spicy, so the flavor of the apple is important!
Envy apples (like all apples) are natural sources of vitamin C and fiber. Additionally, apples (including Envy & Jazz) are healthful snacks, which can help you stay satisfied in between meals. So, don’t just pick up one apple at the store, pick up several! Use one in this easy dinner recipe, then leave the rest in the bowl for snacking.
Did You Know?
- Apples are fat free and cholesterol free.
- Apples contain fiber. In fact, they contain more fiber than bananas, avocados, oranges and strawberries.
Ok, let’s get cooking shall we? In just 30 minutes, dinner can be served!
Chicken Apple Enchiladas
- 8 flour tortillas I used the low carb ones
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 Envy Apple diced
- ½ sweet onion diced
- 1 jalapeno diced. Seeds removed if desired
- 15 oz red enchilada sauce 1 can
- 6 oz shredded cheese I used the creamy Mexican variety
- Olive Oil spray or 1 tsp cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- Prepare apples and vegetables.
- Spray medium pan with olive oil spray and warm over medium heat.
- Add diced onion and cook until translucent – approx 2-3 mins.
- Add diced Envy apple and jalapeno.
- Saute until peppers start to soften, approx 2-3 mins.
- Add in cooked chicken and mix well and mixture is heated throughout.
- Lay out 8 tortillas on the kitchen counter. I like to lay them all out at once, it just seems easier!
- Sprinkle a little cheese near one side of each tortilla.
- Add the chicken and apple mixture to the same side as the cheese of each tortilla.
- Using your hands, tightly roll each tortilla and place it seam side down into the prepared baking dish.
- Top with the red enchilada sauce.
- Bake for 15 – 20 mins until they are heated throughout.
- Top with remaining cheese and place back into the oven until cheese is melted.
- When ready to serve, top with cilantro and additional jalapeno slices if desired.
Take your meal planning game to a new level – join us on a Mission for Nutrition! Grab a free ebook with 6 simple and easy recipes and meal prep ideas for your family!
Follow #MissionForNutrition on Instagram for meal prep ideas and more.
Looking for more meal prep tips and healthy recipes? Check out these posts: