A veggie burger recipe that’s sure to please even the meat-eaters! Make an extra batch and freeze for a convenient dinner later.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup (plus ½ cup) diced sweet onions, divided
- 1 (16 oz.) can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered, seeded
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 3/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 4 whole wheat buns
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat; add mushrooms and 1 cup onions, and cook 30 minutes, or until caramelized.
- Mash beans with fork in mixing bowl.
- Finely chop peppers, garlic and remaining ½ cup onion in food processor. Mix into mashed beans.
- Mix egg, salt, chili sauce and bread crumbs into bean mixture until mixture binds together. Add more crumbs, if needed. Form into 4 patties.
- Bake patties on baking sheet 8 minutes per side, or until firm.
- Assemble buns with cooked patty, onions and mushrooms.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 564Cholesterol: 62mgSodium: 294mgCarbohydrates: 96.22gFiber: 17.34gProtein: 23.92g