Lentils are a very healthy and cost-efficient source of protein and fiber, helping the family stay full from this recipe. Make an extra batch and freeze for fresh, homemade soup at a moment’s notice.
- 1/2 pound small red potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 2 1/2 cups green lentils
- 2 bell peppers, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 pint mushrooms, chopped
- 2 sweet onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or as needed
- Place potatoes, carrots, lentils, peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic, tomatoes, broth and Italian seasoning in slow cooker and cook on high 4 hours or low 8 hours.
- Turn off heat and season with lemon juice, as desired
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423Total Fat: 5.08gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 762mgCarbohydrates: 76.62gFiber: 13.6gProtein: 21.92g