This creamy coconut lentil curry is the perfect dish to cozy up to but is also light enough to serve as an easy side dish. Lentils are a great plant-based source of protein and this recipe is both vegan-friendly and cooks in one pot for easy clean-up!
When you think of curry dishes, you probably think hot and spicy but curries come in all types of heat, from mild to extremely spicy. This recipe is on the mild and creamy side, but you can always add a little extra curry paste to spice things up.
Nutrition Tip: Lentils have been eaten for more than 10,000 years! They’re also a sustainable crop because they require little water to grow. Plus every one-half cup serving packs nine grams of fiber (that’s nearly half of what kids need in a day).
This lentil curry is perfect to serve over rice for an easy dinner. Leftovers also reheat well for a quick lunch – curry dishes are like chili or lasagna, they’re always better the next day. Craving more veggies? Add in a handful or two of fresh spinach or greens, toss in extra veggies like peppers, or top with chopped tomatoes.
Not sure your kids will go for international cuisine? Check out Episode 39 of the Healthy Family Project podcast to learn more about raising adventurous eaters.
Looking for an easy meal prep recipe? This is it! Double the recipe for quick and easy meals all week. Or freeze up to 3 months in an airtight container or ziplock bag. Just thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat. I always add an extra splash of vegetable stock or water when reheating to keep them creamy and delicious.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic, green curry paste, curry powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add broth, water, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil and add lentils. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30-40 minutes, or until lentils are cooked through.
- Stir in cilantro and lemon juice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 306Total Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 458mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 13g