Onion, tomato and avocado turn the typical grilled cheese into a sweet, tangy and creamy lunch.
Nutrition Tip: Lycopene is a phytonutrient that is found in tomatoes, and provides the body with a long list of benefits. Some of which are helping prevent cancer, protecting eye health, and lowering blood pressure.
A grilled cheese sandwich is a classic comfort food that can be taken to the next level by adding tomatoes, avocado, and onion. These simple additions give the sandwich a boost of flavor and nutrition.
Tomatoes are a good source of lycopene, an antioxidant that has been linked to several health benefits. They also add a juicy, acidic element to the sandwich that contrasts well with the cheesy, creamy goodness of the grilled cheese.
Have you ever tried adding avocado to your grilled cheese? It gives the sandwich a creaminess that will leave you wondering why you never added it before! Then, the onion? Talk about a pop of unexpected flavor!
And, we even added a second cheese. While most people opt for just cheddar we upgraded our sandwich game with the addition of some provolone cheese.
Best Sides to Pair with a Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich
For lunch or dinner, soup is always a classic option. Tomato soup is the traditional accompaniment to a grilled cheese, but any kind of soup will do. Another great option is french fries. You can make them healthier by baking them or using an air fryer instead of frying them in oil. Or try some veggie fries such as zucchini fries.
Zucchini fries are a great way to get your veggies in while still enjoying a delicious, fried snack. Here’s how to make them:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut your zucchini into thin, fry-shaped pieces.
3. Coat the zucchini in a light layer of flour or bread crumbs.
4. In a shallow dish, beat an egg and add some water to make a light egg wash.
5. Dip the floured zucchini in the egg wash, and then place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce!
If you’re looking for a way to step up your grilled cheese game, give this old classic an upgrade a try. You’ll be surprised at how much flavor and nutrition are in our grilled cheese and tomato sandwich.
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices lowfat Cheddar cheese
- 1 to mato thinly sliced
- 1/2 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado thinly sliced
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place bread butter-side-down in skillet; add cheddar, tomato, onion, avocado and provolone. Place bread on top with butter-side-up, and cook 2 minutes, or until lightly browned. Flip and continue cooking 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted.