Ready for a new pancake recipe to add to your weekend breakfast routine? Easy to make and delicious, these Blueberry Banana Pancakes are the perfect way to add fruit to breakfast and sneak in those nutrients to get the family going on a hectic day.
I don’t know about you but I grew up on blueberry pancakes for Sunday breakfast. My mom always loved them and so did I. Fresh blueberries are always so sweet and bursting with flavor when they are cooked. Although, I have to admit we were boxed pancake mix people. Once you learn how to make pancakes from scratch, you realize how easy it is. But either way, nothing beats pancakes on a lazy Sunday morning with the family.
Nutrition Tip: The blueberry might as well be referred to as the ‘Queen of Antioxidants,’ as these tiny fruits contain the highest antioxidant concentration of all other common fruits and vegetables.
What we love about these Blueberry Banana Pancakes
- Made from scratch
- Loaded with fresh bananas and blueberries
- Simple ingredients from pantry staples
- Easy to make
So these Blueberry Banana Pancakes are made from scratch, but if you want to just spruce up your boxed mix, that is fine too! We went a little above and beyond by adding some caramel and pecans for a flavor explosion! And if you really want to make it a fun morning, then have the kids help in the kitchen. They can mix, add the fruit, and help cook the pancakes as well.
Now you know by now that we love cooking and baking with fresh produce when available. Blueberries are loaded with anti-oxidants, fiber, potassium, and Vitamins. They even contain many properties that are known to help our brain function and memory! So grab some fresh blueberries (or frozen will work for this recipe, too) and enjoy these pancakes.
How to make Blueberry and Banana Pancakes from Scratch
Sift both of the flours, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl. Then add the milk, oil and egg, and mix until moistened.
Next heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat and spray with some cooking spray. Spoon ¼ cup of the pancake mixture onto the skillet.
Add in the sliced bananas and blueberries, and cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until pancakes begin to bubble. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until done.
Top with pecans and drizzle with caramel dip and enjoy!
Make sure to PIN IT!
Additions & Substitutions:
- Rather a different berry? Try strawberries or raspberries!
- We did half regular and half whole wheat flour but you can use what you have.
- Want to add some extra fiber? Add in some ground flax or chia seeds.
- You can use a milk alternative.
Looking for some other blueberry recipes? Make sure to check out our Beet Blueberry & Banana Smoothie or our Mixed Berry Pizza with Oatmeal Coconut Crust
Blueberry Banana Pancakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 banana sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 teaspoons caramel dip
- 1 tablespoon pecans finely chopped
- Sift flours, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Add milk, oil and egg, and mix until moistened.
- Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat; spray with cooking spray. Spoon ¼ cup pancake mixture onto skillet. Add sliced bananas and blueberries, and cook 2-3 minutes, or until pancakes begin to bubble. Flip and cook 1-2 minutes, or until done.
- Top with pecans and drizzle with caramel dip.