Apple Pumpkin Muffins
Fall is just around the corner which for many of us food lovers, that means a few things. Apple lover or pumpkin lover? With these healthy Apple Pumpkin Muffins, you don’t have to pick a side. These muffins are a little taste of fall all in one little bite sized treat.
The kids are back in school now and as you know, we are always whipping up new recipes for the whole family for lunches, after school snacks, or even grab and go breakfast ideas. These Apple Pumpkin Muffins are perfect for all those days when you just need something quick to grab on the way out the door, or even with a hot cup of cider on a chilly day. These muffins are super simple to make with a few pantry staples and of course the pumpkin and apples.
Our family loves muffins and I love that most of the time they are pretty healthy although the kids feel that they are getting a treat. We make our Mini Zucchini Bread Muffins and Mixed Berry Whole Wheat Muffins regularly and the kids are always asking for more. So really they are a great baked treat to feed the family. If you want, you can make a big batch and freeze, too! Then just defrost at room temperature when ready to eat (or throw on in the lunchbox and it will be perfect).
Key Ingredients for these Apple Pumpkin Muffins
- Whole Wheat Flour– baking with wheat flour is a great choice. Most of the time the flour is so interchangeable that no one even notices the difference. This way there is more nutritional value and the flour is less processed. If you only have regular flour, that works just the same in this recipe.
- Pumpkin– pumpkin is a super healthy vegetable! Baking with pumpkin adds tons of Vitamin A & C, fiber, antioxidants, and many other heart healthy benefits.
- Apple– everyone knows that apples are a great fruit to eat regularly. They are loaded in Vitamin C, a great source of fiber, and can help lower blood pressure and cholesterol.
Nutrition Tip: Pumpkin puree is a source of beta carotene, which is an antioxidant that protects your healthy cells from damage by free radicals.
How to make these easy Apple Pumpkin Muffins
First preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl mix the whole wheat flour, sugar, pumpkin spice, baking soda, and baking powder in large mixing bowl.
Then beat the eggs in separate bowl. Mix in the pumpkin puree and oil. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix.
Next fold in apples. Line a muffin pan with baking cups. Then fill each muffin cup ¾ full and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean.
Serve warm or store in the refrigerator. You can also wrap them individually and freeze!
Make sure to PIN IT!
Apple Pumpkin Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 Honeycrisp apple peeled, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour, sugar, pumpkin spice, baking soda and baking powder in large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Beat eggs in separate bowl. Mix in pumpkin puree and oil.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in apple.
- Line muffin pan with baking cups. Fill each muffin cup ¾ full and bake 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean.