Bibimbap (pronounced bee-beem-bahp) is a traditional Korean dish made of rice, vegetables or kimchi, and a sauce like gochujang (chili pepper paste), soy sauce or doenjang (fermented soybean paste). Often, these bowls are topped with a fried egg or sliced meat. This vegetarian version skips the meat, but it can easily be added if you prefer.
Don’t let the name fool you, this dish is actually simple to make. For the recipe, we sauté a mix of carrots, zucchini and peppers, but other veggies like cabbage, bean sprouts, mushrooms, bok choy and green onions all work well for this dish.
The gochujang sauce a tasty combination of soy sauce, tahini, gochujang, sesame oil and brown sugar. The gochujang sauce is spicy, so feel free to add more or less for your preference.
Nutrition Tip: Brown rice beats white when it comes to nutrition. Brown rice is the entire grain (white is stripped of the bran and germ layers), so it’s got more fiber and naturally higher amounts of vitamins and minerals.
Assemble! Add rice evenly to four bowls and top with veggies, a fried egg and the gochujang sauce. Feel free to sprinkle sliced green onions or sesame seeds on top as well.
Vegetarian Bibimbap Bowls with Gochujang Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cup julienned zucchini
- 1 cup sliced bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
Gochujang Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon tahini
- 1/2 tablespoon gochujang chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Heat in skillet over medium heat. Add carrots and cook 2 minutes. Add zucchini and peppers and cook 3 minutes, or until carrots begin to brown and veggies soften. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium-low heat. Add butter and let melt. Add eggs, one at a time, to the pan. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until whites are set (cook 2 minutes longer if you don’t like a runny yolk).
- To make sauce, whisk soy sauce, tahini, gochujang, sesame oil and brown sugar in small bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup rice to bowls, top with vegetables, egg and drizzle with Gochujang Soy Sauce.