Give Taco Tuesday a fresh veggie spin by subbing your tortillas with lettuce! It adds the perfect crunch and comes packed with vitamins and minerals like calcium, potassium and vitamin A, C and K. Simply fill with your favorite taco toppings for a yummy dinner.
Nutrition Tip: Avocados have a high-fat content, but a healthy fat at that! This creamy fruit is rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fat and is a delicious addition to any recipe that needs some richness.
The Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps Are a Must Try
Taco Tuesday just got a healthy and fresh update with these Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps. Instead of using traditional tortillas, these wraps are made with crunchy and nutrient-packed romaine lettuce leaves, making them a lighter and healthier alternative. This recipe is also a great option for those who are following a low-carb or gluten-free diet.
Not only are these lettuce wraps low in carbs, but they are also packed with lean protein from the ground turkey. The addition of taco seasoning adds a delicious Mexican flavor to the dish, making it a crowd-pleaser for both kids and adults. Plus, the shredded Mexican blend cheese adds a creamy and gooey texture to the wraps, making them irresistible.
The star ingredient of this recipe is the avocado. While avocados are high in fat, they are a great source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, which can help reduce bad cholesterol levels. Avocados are also rich in fiber, potassium, and vitamins A, C, and K. The diced avocado adds a creamy and rich texture to the wraps, making them even more delicious.
These Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps are easy to make and are a great option for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner. They are also a great dish to make for a crowd, as they are easy to assemble and can be customized with your favorite toppings.
To make this recipe even healthier, you can opt for low-fat shredded cheese and use homemade taco seasoning instead of store-bought to reduce the sodium content. You can also add extra veggies like diced bell peppers or shredded carrots to increase the fiber and nutrient content.
Related: Try our Southwest Crispy Fish Tacos
Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps Side Dish Ideas
When it comes to serving side dishes with Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps, the possibilities are endless. Here are a few suggestions:
- Mexican Rice: A classic side dish that pairs well with Mexican-inspired dishes like these lettuce wraps. You can make it with white or brown rice and add some diced tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro for extra flavor.
- Black Beans: A great source of fiber and protein, black beans are a healthy and tasty side dish that can complement the flavors of the Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps. You can season them with cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder for a Mexican twist.
- Grilled Corn on the Cob: Grilled corn on the cob is a classic summer side dish that can add some sweetness and crunch to the meal. You can brush the corn with some melted butter and sprinkle with chili powder and lime juice for a Mexican-inspired flavor.
- Guacamole and Salsa: These classic Mexican dips are a great addition to any taco meal. You can make your own homemade guacamole and salsa or use store-bought versions for convenience.
- Cucumber and Tomato Salad: This refreshing salad is a great way to add some veggies to the meal. Simply chop up some cucumbers and tomatoes and toss them with some olive oil, red wine vinegar, and chopped fresh herbs.
Tips for Making the Best Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
- Choose fresh and crisp lettuce leaves: When selecting your lettuce leaves, make sure they are fresh and crisp. Romaine lettuce works well for these wraps because of its sturdy and crunchy texture.
- Drain any excess liquid from the cooked turkey: Once you’ve cooked the ground turkey with taco seasoning, make sure to drain any excess liquid from the skillet. This will prevent the lettuce wraps from getting soggy.
- Customize the toppings to your liking: These Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps are very customizable. You can use any toppings you like, such as diced onions, sliced jalapeños, or chopped fresh cilantro. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavors and textures.
- Use low-fat cheese: To keep the wraps healthy, you can opt for low-fat shredded cheese instead of regular cheese. This will reduce the calorie and fat content of the meal.
- Double up on the lettuce leaves: To make sure the wraps hold together well, you can double up on the lettuce leaves. Simply layer two leaves on top of each other and fill them with the turkey and toppings.
- Serve immediately: These Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps are best served immediately after assembling. If you need to prep the ingredients ahead of time, you can store them separately in the fridge and assemble the wraps just before serving.
Overall, these Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps are a delicious and healthy twist on traditional tacos. They are easy to make, customizable, and packed with flavor and nutrients. Give them a try for your next Taco Tuesday and enjoy a guilt-free and delicious meal.
Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup lowfat shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 6 to matoes diced
- 1 avocado diced
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add turkey and cook 5-7 minutes, or until browned and cooked through. Add taco seasoning and mix well.
- Assemble each lettuce taco with one Artisan Romaine leaf, turkey, cheese, tomatoes and avocado.