A quick and easy dinner with fewer than 10 ingredients. Freshly squeezed orange juice adds flavor and moisture to this salsa chicken recipe. Liven up quinoa by adding just a few simple ingredients.
Ready in an hour and absolutely delicious, this Salsa Chicken with Black Bean Quinoa is a healthy and flavorful dish that is perfect for a weeknight meal. The quinoa provides a nutty texture and the black beans add a creaminess that pairs so well with the zesty salsa chicken. And it’s all topped off with some fresh cilantro for extra flavor.
Why we love this Salsa Chicken with Black Bean Quinoa
All you need is some ingredients you might already have in your pantry and fridge and it whips together fast! Chicken tenderloins, orange juice, lime, salsa, quinoa, black beans, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, and green onions come together in this Spanish-inspired dish that though simple, is so delicious we’re betting it becomes a regular meal in your family’s rotation.
Different Cuts of Chicken
We opted to use chicken tenderloins for this dish because they cook up nice and juicy, and are the perfect size without requiring a lot of chopping and prep work. Here’s a quick guide to help you choose what chicken to use in your dishes:
– Chicken tenderloins are smaller and more delicate than chicken breast. They’re also more versatile – you can use them in a variety of dishes, from stir-fries to salads.
– Chicken breast is usually cheaper than chicken tenderloins. It’s also a good source of lean protein, making it a healthier option overall.
– When it comes to cooking time, both chicken tenderloins and chicken breast will need about the same amount of time. However, chicken breast can sometimes be tougher and harder to cook evenly.
– Chicken thighs, on the other hand, are smaller and cheaper than both tenderloins and chicken breast. They also have more fat. Though that can sometimes be beneficial because means they’re more flavorful, they can fall apart or become too mushy in a dish like this.
Tenderloins hold up better and take on the flavors of this recipe much better. You can swap the tenderloins for chicken breast if it’s all you have on hand though. We just wouldn’t recommend chicken thighs for this dish.
Make sure to PIN IT!
Salsa Chicken with Black Bean Quinoa
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 lime juiced, zested, divided
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can low-sodium black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 green onions chopped
- Combine chicken, orange juice, ½ lime juice and salsa in large sealable bag, mix well. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Empty contents of bag into 13×9 baking dish, coating chicken evenly. Place in oven and bake 20-30 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from oven, discard remaining marinade. Sprinkle with lime juice.
- Meanwhile, combine 2 cups water, remaining lime juice and quinoa in large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Add black beans, tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, 1 tsp. lime zest and fluff with fork. Heat through.
- Serve chicken on top of quinoa. Top with additional salsa, if desired.