It will be impossible to look at Gnocchi the same after creating this effortless combination of flavors. Be sure to put this on the list of go-to dinner ideas.
I’m all about quick and easy meals for my family. I’m sure you can relate. That’s why I’m a big fan of this Kielbasa Gnocchi & Nutty Green Beans dish! I think after you read a little bit about it, you’ll want to try making it for your family too!
What is Gnocchi Anyway?
Aside from being the star of this Kielbasa Gnocchi & Nutty Green Beans recipe, Gnocchi (pronounced “NYOH-kee”) is a type of pasta that is commonly found in Italian cuisine. It is made from a mixture of cooked potatoes, flour, and sometimes eggs. The dough is formed into small dumplings, typically with a ridged texture, and then boiled until they float to the surface of the water.
Gnocchi can be served with a variety of sauces, such as tomato sauce, pesto, or creamy cheese sauce. It is often accompanied by grated Parmesan cheese or other toppings. Gnocchi can also be baked or pan-fried for a different texture.
The word “gnocchi” is derived from the Italian word “nocchio,” which means a knot in wood or gnarl. Gnocchi has a soft and delicate texture and is known for its comforting and satisfying taste. It is a popular dish in Italian restaurants and enjoyed by many around the world.
What Makes Kielbasa Gnocchi & Nutty Green Beans Healthy?
First, it features balanced nutrition. This recipe incorporates a mix of essential food groups. The combination of protein-rich kielbasa, fiber-packed green beans, and vitamin-rich kale offers a well-rounded meal.
Second, it’s filled with nutrient-dense ingredients. The inclusion of fresh vegetables, such as bell peppers, onion, and tomato, provides a variety of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. These components contribute to overall health and well-being.
You can also make it lower in sodium by opting for a low-sodium pasta sauce. This is particularly beneficial for individuals watching their sodium levels (i.e. people with high blood pressure, bad heart health, low kidney function, etc…)
Related: Try our Easy Roasted Potatoes with Green Beans and Carrots!
Why Make It?
The flavors in this dish harmonize beautifully, creating a satisfying and delicious meal. The smoky kielbasa, tender gnocchi, and crisp green beans combine to offer a delightful taste experience. It’s also quick and convenient to whip up. With simple ingredients and straightforward instructions, this recipe is both accessible for beginner cooks and suitable for those seeking a quick weeknight dinner option.
Finally, it’s versatile! This recipe can be easily customized to accommodate dietary preferences. Feel free to experiment with different vegetables or substitute ingredients to suit your taste and dietary needs.
Kielbasa Gnocchi & Nutty Green Beans: A Quick Peek at the Ingredients
- Gnocchi: Made from potato and flour, gnocchi provides a comforting and filling base for the dish. Choose a high-quality packaged gnocchi or try making it from scratch for an extra homemade touch.
- Kielbasa: Pork kielbasa adds a smoky and robust flavor to the dish. Opt for a leaner variety or look for low-sodium options to keep it on the healthier side.
- Green Beans: These vibrant and crunchy beans offer a crisp texture and are packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They provide a refreshing contrast to the other components of the dish.
- Bell Peppers, Onion, Tomato: These fresh vegetables add color, texture, and a boost of essential nutrients. Bell peppers contribute sweetness, while onion and tomato offer savory notes.
- Baby Kale: With its tender leaves and mild taste, baby kale brings a dose of vitamins A, C, and K to the meal. It’s a nutritious addition that complements the other ingredients well.
Meal Prep Ideas That May Help
- Batch Cooking: Prepare a larger quantity of this recipe and divide it into individual portions. Store them in airtight containers, and you’ll have ready-to-eat meals for busy days.
- Make-Ahead Components: Blanch the green beans, precook the gnocchi, and chop the vegetables in advance. This way, when it’s time to assemble your dish, you’ll have the ingredients ready to go, cutting down on preparation time.
- Freezing: If you want to extend the shelf life of the dish, freeze it in meal-sized portions. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat when needed for a quick and convenient meal.
Indulge in the delectable combination of kielbasa, gnocchi, and nutty green beans with our Kielbasa Gnocchi & Nutty Green Beans recipe. Packed with flavor and nutrition, this dish is sure to satisfy both your taste buds and your body’s needs. With its balanced mix of protein, vegetables, and wholesome ingredients, it offers a nourishing option for any mealtime.
Kielbasa Gnocchi & Nutty Green Beans
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 1 pound green beans ends trimmed
- 1 16 oz. package gnocchi, cooked according to package directions
- 12 ounces pork kielbasa sliced into ½” rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bell peppers seeded, chopped
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 bunch 6 cups baby kale, tough stems removed, chopped
- 1 to mato chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 26 oz. jar low-sodium pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place pecans in single layer on baking sheet and bake 5 minutes. Stir, return to oven and bake 3 minutes, or until pecans are slightly browned and aromatic. Remove from oven and let cool. Toss with green beans.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add kielbasa and cook 3-4 minutes, or until heated through and lightly browned. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
- Return skillet to heat; add peppers and onion, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add kale, tomato and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, or until tender and tomato juices have reduced. Turn heat to medium-low; add pasta sauce and heat.
- Mix gnocchi with pasta sauce and top with kielbasa.