When cooler weather comes, nothing is more comforting than a hearty bowl of beef stew. While many recipes of this classic dish take hours to prepare, this version is made in the Instant Pot for a delicious, healthy meal in less time. Plus, clean-up is a breeze since you can brown the meat and cook the stew all in one pot!
Nutrition Tip: Beef is high in iron, which is key for growing kids. The kind of iron found in beef is especially easy for the body to soak up and use.
Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1- quart unsalted beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 1 pound red potatoes
- 1/2 pound carrots peeled, sliced
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Set Instant Pot to sauté. Once warm, add olive oil, meat, salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until meat is browned.
- Add garlic, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, paprika, sugar, thyme. Stir to combine. Add onions, potatoes and carrots.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and set valve to airtight. Press soup setting and cook 30 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release 10 minutes before releasing the steam valve.
- Whisk cornstarch and cold water in small cup. Add to Instant Pot to thicken sauce.