Fall is just around the corner and we can’t wait to dive into apple recipes along with other seasonal favorites! This Fall Harvest Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette combines all your favorite flavors into one bowl! Roasted butternut squash, crisp apples, goat cheese, pecans, dried cranberries and pepitas are tossed with salad greens and a homemade Apple Cider Vinaigrette for a delicious meal or side dish.
Sometimes it is a little challenging to get creative in the kitchen. That is why it is a great idea to let the produce that is in season, help inspire you in the kitchen. Yes Fall seems to make everyone feel like cozying up to more meals like our Hearty Pot Roast or some Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup & Roasted Carrot Chips. But if you want something on the lighter side for lunch or dinner, then you need to give this Fall Harvest Salad a try! The quick and easy Apple Cider Vinaigrette is a nice finishing touch, too.
Want to make this salad a more filling meal? Grab some leftover grilled chicken to chop up and add on top for some protein. Either way, this will be a great addition to your Fall food lineup.
Key Ingredients for this Fall Harvest Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Salad Greens: Baby spinach, spring mix, baby kale are all great. I recommend a softer green over something like Romaine here though.
- Butternut Squash: Roasted butternut squash is one of my favorite fall foods. Roasting it brings out a natural sweetness and makes it perfect for this salad. Other winter squashes like acorn or delicata are also great.
- Goat Cheese: My favorite and pairs so well with the other ingredients here.
- Apples: I love a sweeter apple like Honeycrisp or Gala here, but whatever apple you have on hand would work. Here’s a guide to different apple types to help you.
- Toppings: Pecans, dried cranberries and pepitas (pumpkin seeds) all pair nicely, but feel free to mix in walnuts, sunflower seeds or other items you have on hand.
- Homemade Vinaigrette: A simple mix of apple cider vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup (or honey), Dijon mustard and salt.
How to make the Fall Harvest Salad
First start by preheating the oven to 400F. Toss the butternut squash with oil, salt and pepper. Then spread out on a baking sheet and bake for about15-20 minutes, or until tender.
Remove the butternut squash from the oven and let cool slightly. Add the salad greens to large bowl. Top with the butternut squash, goat cheese, apple, pecans, dried cranberries and pepitas.
How to make the Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Whisk the apple cider vinegar, oil, maple syrup, mustard and salt in small bowl until well combine. Pour over the salad and toss to combine.
Serve this salad immediately or if packing for lunch, keep the dressing separate.
Make sure to PIN IT!
Fall Harvest Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Fall Harvest Salad
- 1 pound butternut squash peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 5 oz. package Spinach & Arugula mix
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1 apple diced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pepitas
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Toss butternut squash with oil, salt and pepper. Spread on baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Add salad greens to large bowl. Top with butternut squash, goat cheese, apple, pecans, dried cranberries and pepitas.
- Whisk apple cider vinegar, oil, maple syrup, mustard and salt in small bowl until well combine. Pour over salad and toss to combine.