This salad combines all your favorite fall flavors into one bowl! Roasted butternut squash, crisp apples, goat cheese, pecans, dried cranberries and pepitas are tossed with salad greens and a homemade Apple Cider Vinaigrette for a delicious meal or side dish.
Have leftover grilled chicken on hand? Add it to pump up the protein and turn this salad into a hearty meal.
Here’s what you need:
- Salad Greens: Baby spinach, spring mix, baby kale are all great. I recommend a softer green over something like Romaine here though.
- Butternut Squash: Roasted butternut squash is one of my favorite fall foods. Roasting it brings out a natural sweetness and makes it perfect for this salad. Other winter squashes like acorn or delicata are also great.
- Goat Cheese: My favorite and pairs so well with the other ingredients here.
- Apples: I love a sweeter apple like Honeycrisp or Gala here, but whatever apple you have on hand would work. Here’s a guide to different apple types to help you.
- Toppings: Pecans, dried cranberries and pepitas (pumpkin seeds) all pair nicely, but feel free to mix in walnuts, sunflower seeds or other items you have on hand.
- Homemade Vinaigrette: A simple mix of apple cider vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup (or honey), Dijon mustard and salt.
Fall Harvest Salad
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (5 oz.) package Spinach & Arugula mix
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pepitas
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Toss butternut squash with oil, salt and pepper. Spread on baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Add salad greens to large bowl. Top with butternut squash, goat cheese, apple, pecans, dried cranberries and pepitas.
- Whisk apple cider vinegar, oil, maple syrup, mustard and salt in small bowl until well combine. Pour over salad and toss to combine.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 14gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 272mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 6g