Rich, creamy chocolate mousse without heavy cream, eggs or cooking required? When you’re craving something sweet and decadent, this healthier Chocolate Avocado Mousse is easy to whip up for a sweet treat.
I was never a huge chocolate lover – it was always a nice to have, not a must – but when I was pregnant that all changed. It may be cliche, but I really craved chocolate and that hasn’t gone away since having my daughter.
PS – You can also make brownies with avocados. You’re welcome.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Avocados: You’ll want these to be ripe but too ripe. That’s the balance we’re always trying to find with avocados, right?
- Coconut Milk: You can find coconut milk in the canned section. You could also use whole milk if you’re not worried about keeping this recipe vegan or dairy-free.
- Cocoa powder: Regular or dark chocolate both work.
- Sweetener: I used maple syrup to keep this recipe vegan, but honey or agave nectar also work.
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh mint and raspberries, for topping
Chocolate mousse is usually an involved process with lots of whisking, heavy cream and eggs. Some recipes call for a double-boiler to get the chocolate melted just right or way too many dirty bowls.
This busy mom with a toddler in tow has about 4 seconds to throw together a recipe before the meltdown sets in, and this recipe is perfect for that. You literally throw everything into the food processor and puree until smooth.
Prep Tip: If you think you’re done pureeing, give it a few extra seconds. You definitely want a completely smooth texture and to break up all those little avocado pieces.
You could eat it straight out of the food processor (no judgment here!), but I prefer to let it cool in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to really let the flavors set.
Then top with a little fresh mint and raspberry for an Instagram-worthy photo opp (if you have time for that sort of thing).
- 2 ripe avocados
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 4 Tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 12 raspberries
- Fresh mint leaves
- Add avocados, milk, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla and salt to food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Divide between 4 bowls and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Top with fresh mint and raspberries.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 46mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 9gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g