Who says rich, chocolatey brownies can’t be a better-for-you dessert? We swap the oil and butter in traditional recipes with avocado for less saturated fat. You won’t even be able to taste the difference!
Nutrition Tip: Adding avocado to your plate ensures that you are receiving fat-soluble vitamins A, E, and K, as well as healthy monounsaturated fat that helps the body absorb these vitamins.
It’s no secret that many people in the United States are avocado-obsessed. We’ll put it on toast, in our smoothies, and even in our guacamole. But have you ever thought about putting avocado in your brownies? We know, it sounds a little crazy. But trust us, these Dark Chocolate Avocado Brownies are absolutely delicious.
These brownies are made with rich dark chocolate, creamy avocado, and whole wheat flour. They’re also dairy-free, so they’re perfect for many folks with food allergies or sensitivities. And don’t worry, you won’t be able to taste the avocado at all. The only thing you’ll taste is rich, chocolatey goodness.
Avocado? In Desserts?
The avocado is a fruit that is often consumed in savory dishes, but it is actually really tasty when used in sweet dishes! Here are three reasons why avocado is good in desserts:
1. The creaminess of avocado makes it a great addition to smoothies and ice cream.
2. Avocado adds a unique flavor to desserts that you can’t get from other ingredients.
3. Avocados are a healthy source of fats, which can help you feel satisfied after eating dessert.
Desserts Can Be Made Healthier
We all love dessert, but sometimes they can be packed full of sugar and unhealthy ingredients. Here are a few tips on how to make your desserts a little healthier without sacrificing taste.
1. Cut back on the sugar. Sugar is often the main ingredient in desserts, so cutting back on it can make a big difference. Try using natural sweeteners like honey or stevia instead.
2. Use healthy ingredients. Instead of processed flour, use whole wheat flour or almond meal. Use fruit instead of sugary syrups to top your desserts.
3. Get creative with portion control. Don’t feel like you have to eat a huge slice of cake or pie. Serve smaller portions or make mini versions of your favorite desserts.
How Long Will the Dark Chocolate Avocado Brownies LAst?
Assuming you store them in an airtight container at room temperature, these Dark Chocolate Avocado Brownies will last about three or four days. If you pop them in the fridge, they’ll last closer to 1 week. But let’s be honest – they probably won’t last that long because they’re just too darn delicious.
Make sure to PIN IT!
Dark Chocolate Avocado Brownies
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 avocados
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8-inch cake pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and sugar with electric mixer at medium speed until bubbly and fluffy.
- Place chocolate chips in microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH in 15 seconds increments, stirring in between, until melted.
- With mixer running, add chocolate to egg mixture. Fold in cocoa, salt, vanilla and flour.
- Mash avocados in separate bowl until very smooth. Add to batter and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 30 minutes, or until toothpick is inserted in center and comes out clean.
- Let cool before slicing.