Looking for a new enchilada recipe to give a try? These Chicken Avocado Enchiladas give a nice fresh spin on a classic dinner idea! These enchiladas can be made ahead of time and reheated when ready to serve, plus the cilantro lime yogurt sauce adds tons of flavor. Perfect for any night of the week!
What I really love about these Chicken Avocado Enchiladas are that they are pretty simple to make with just a few ingredients and loaded with flavor. Some chicken enchilada recipes are loaded with sour cream or cream cheese which makes them a heavier dinner. This avocado version is a little lighter using a yogurt sauce and low fat cheese.
Key Ingredients for these Chicken Avocado Enchiladas
Chicken– A lean protein that makes an excellent filler in enchiladas. You can use leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken, or even freshly boiled and shredded chicken.
Avocado– As one of the healthiest foods on the planet, avocados provide heart healthy fats, fiber, potassium, and have a smooth texture and mild flavor which make them great to add in to many meals and even smoothies!
Greek Yogurt– Greek yogurt can make a lighter, lower fat version of many sauces and dressings!
Make sure to check out our Produce Tips: Avocados post for more information!
Nutrition Tip: Did you know that the fruit with the highest protein content is the avocado? Besides protein, avocados contain high amounts of healthy monounsaturated fat that can lower cholesterol and support your heart.
How to make these Chicken Enchiladas with Avocado
Step 1: Prepare ingredients
Shred cooked chicken and set aside. Cut and remove the pit from avocado. Chop up your avocado and the cilantro.
Step 2: Make filling
In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, avocado, and some of the cheese. Mix until well combined.
Step 3: Fill tortillas
Place a little of the chicken mixture into each tortilla and roll up. Place the rolled tortilla seem side down into the sauced baking dish. Repeat until all the filling and tortillas are used.
Step 4: Top and Bake
Top the enchiladas with the remaining green enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes until cheese in melted and the dish is hot throughout.
Step 5: Make the Greek Yogurt Sauce
Combine the Greek Yogurt, lime juice, cilantro, salt, and garlic in a blender and blend until smooth. Drizzle on to of enchiladas and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy these enchiladas as much as we did!
Frequently asked questions:
Can I make these chicken enchiladas ahead of time?
Absolutely! Enchiladas can be made earlier in the day or the day before and pop them in the oven when ready to bake. You may just need adjust the baking time for a little bit longer!
Can I freeze these Chicken Avocado Enchiladas?
Yes! Enchiladas freeze very well and even make a nice freezer meal to drop off to family and friends. Just prepare according to the recipe up and cover with foil and freeze before baking. Then you can either bake from frozen or thaw and bake, too!
Chicken Avocado Enchiladas
- 2 10 oz. cans green chili enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 avocados chopped
- ¾ cup plus ¼ cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray 13×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add 1 can enchilada sauce to bottom of baking dish. Set aside.
- Mix chicken, avocado and ¾ cup cheese in large bowl.
- Place tortillas 3 at a time on microwave safe plate and cover with damp paper towel. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds or until warmed.
- Fill tortillas with chicken mixture, roll tightly and place seam-side-down in baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Pour 1 can enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle with ¼ cup cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling.
- Combine Greek yogurt, cilantro, garlic, lime juice and salt in blender until smooth. Drizzle on top of enchiladas before serving.