No need for butter to make this mac n cheese creamy and delicious! Swap in some good fats by adding avocado. Pump up the protein by adding canned tuna or grilled chicken.
Nutrition Tip: Avocados are one of the few fruits that provide “good” or “healthy” fats, called monounsaturated fats.
- 1 pound whole-wheat elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon (plus ½ tablespoon) lemon juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, (optional)
- Combine milk, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH in 1 minute intervals until hot.
- Place 1½ of avocados and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice into blender and pulse. Add cheese and hot milk, and blend until smooth. Chop remaining ½ avocado and toss with the remaining ½ Tbsp. lemon juice.
- Mix avocado sauce with pasta. Serve topped with chopped avocado and chives, if using.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 515Total Fat: 19gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 469mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 9gSugar: 3gProtein: 24g