This 30-minute Chicken Avocado Alfredo Pasta meal is healthy a twist on classic Alfredo by swapping avocados for the butter and heavy cream. Yes, it’s healthier and it’s still absolutely delicious!
We love pasta night in our house. And I love that pasta is so easy to make! Serve it with fresh bread and a salad and you have a full meal in under 30 minutes. Alfredo sauce is definitely our go-to sauce when it comes to making pasta, it’s cheesy, thick and oh so creamy. What I don’t love about Alfredo sauce is all the extra fat and calories.
So, I set out to make an alfredo sauce that is just as delicious, but a bit healthier.
I am happy to report that my mission was successful!
What I did was use avocados as a substitution for the butter and heavy cream. The result was fantastic! This 30-minute meal is delicious, low fat, creamy and packed with protein. Your family won’t miss the fat, I promise 🙂
Key Ingredients For Avocado Alfredo Pasta
- Parmesan cheese
- Lemon juice
Simple Substitutions and Additions
- Add spinach for added nutrition.
- Use zoodles instead of pasta noodles.
- We used chicken as our protein, but feel free to try a meat-free alternative.
- Add mushrooms for a meaty texture and extra umami flavor.
Nutrition Tip: The creamy avocado has been shown to support brain health thanks to its high monounsaturated fat content. This healthy fat supports blood flow and lowers blood pressure, therefore helping out the brain.
How long are leftovers good for?
You can store your leftover avocado alfredo chicken pasta in the fridge in an airtight container for about 3 days. You may notice a little browning due to the avocado, but the added lemon juice should help with that.
How The Kids Can Help
- Depending on the age of your child, you can have them help prepare the pasta. Always be sure to watch them around a hot stove and boiling water…No matter how old they are!
- Once the avocado is prepped, have them put all the avocado alfredo sauce ingredients into the food processor.
- Kids will enjoy tossing the prepared avocado alfredo sauce on the pasta. Viola! Dinner is done!
Looking to get the kids more involved in the kitchen? Here are some articles that will help and get them excited about being a part of the cooking process:
- 5 Tips For Getting Kids Involved In The Kitchen
- Teaching Kids To Prepare Healthy Snacks
- Meal Planning & Cooking With Kids
Creamy Chicken Avocado Alfredo
- 1 16 oz. box whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 ripe avocados – skin and pitted removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pint grape tomatoes washed & halved
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 pounds cooked sliced chicken breast
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and reserve 1 cup pasta water.
- Place pasta back into the pot or put into a large bowl.
- Place avocado, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add ½ to ¾ cup pasta water to the food processor and blend again.
- Toss pasta with avocado sauce and tomatoes. Add remaining pasta water, if needed.
- Top with cheese and sliced chicken.