If you have some fresh apples this Fall and are looking for new ideas, here is one for you and the family! These simple 5-ingredient Healthy Apple Donuts will be a hit with kids! Easily turn apple slices into “donuts” and top with your favorite toppings for a healthy snack or dessert. Let the kids customize their own slices with toppings of choice for a fun activity this Fall!
I don’t know about you, but one of our favorite snacks in our house is apples. We like them whole, we liked them sliced, served with caramel, served with peanut butter, and even as nachos. They are great to have on hand for a quick after school snack or when you are running out the door to soccer or dance practice. There are so many ways to enjoy apples, and now your family can have some of these Healthy Apple Donuts, too! Apples are transformed by slicing them into rings and loading them up with some fun toppings. I cored and sliced the apples and let the kids customize their own apple donut rings themselves. So this is definitely a family fun project that everyone can participate in.
Key Ingredients for these Healthy Apple Donuts
- Apples– for this recipe we core the apple then slice them into rings. Use an apple corer if you have one, if not carefully cut out the core. We had red delicious apples, but whichever variety you have or enjoy-use those. Enjoying apples as part of your regular diet can help to lower your blood pressure, cholesterol, and helps aid in a healthy digestive track. And of course great for the kids because they are loaded with Vitamin C (and lets not forget they taste great).
- Peanut Butter– we used creamy peanut butter, but crunchy would taste great too. If your family has an allergy, any alternative butters would work as well.
- Granola– to add a little crunch and sweetness we topped ours with some granola. You can buy a bag or easily make some at home too. A great addition for some whole grains.
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes– Just to add an extra dose of sweetness and flavor, coconut flakes are loaded with minerals and magnesium.
- Chocolate Chips– a little chocolate makes everyone happy! We used regular chocolate chips here but mini, dark, or any other flavor chip would be delicious.
If you want to load them up other great toppings include: dried fruit, nuts, seeds, fresh fruit and even breakfast cereal.
How to make these Healthy Apple Donuts
First start by washing and coring the apple. Then turn the apple sideways and cut them into thin slices.
Next spread on your peanut butter or spread of choice. Then add the granola, coconut flakes, and chocolate chips. Serve right away and enjoy. Store any additional healthy apple donuts in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
Make sure to PIN it!
Healthy Apple Donuts
- 1 apple cored, cut into rings
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup granola
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Spread apple rings with peanut butter and top with granola, coconut and chocolate chips.