This episode of the Healthy Family Project podcast is all about how to get started with gardening. Heather Manzo gives us a crash course on different types of gardening and what to consider before deciding which style best suits your space and lifestyle.
Gardening is a relaxing hobby that requires a decent time commitment but offers big rewards and positively impacts the environment. Whether you have a small balcony or large backyard, you can work with your space and choose plants that can thrive in your environment.
From edible landscapes and container gardens to flower beds and indoor gardens, it’s all about balancing your goals with your limitations. Heather gives us a crash course on different types of gardens and their benefits, plus useful tips to help you succeed and work on your green thumb.
Listen to the episode
What We Cover:
Want to skip straight to a hot topic? See timestamps below. But of course, we recommend listening all the way through to get all the great tips and tricks!
- 2:45 Get to know Heather
- 4:47 How can beginners get started with gardening?
- 6:23 Limitations to consider when deciding what to do with your space
- 8:06 Beginner-friendly plants
- 11:05 What are companion plants?
- 12:46 How to select native plants for your garden?
- 14:08 What is a plant palette?
- 16:20 What are the benefits of container gardening?
- 20:20 How to attract bees and butterflies?
- 27:07 What you need to know about soil and composting?
- 32:33 What can the act of nurturing a seed do for us?
- 35:40 Hot takes
About Our Guest, Heather Manzo
Heather Manzo is the executive director at the Allegheny County Conservation District. Heather is passionate about preserving the world around her and helping others discover how they can make a difference in our current environment. She practices permaculture and urban ag at her home, tends to grow pumpkin patches in her front yard, and in her free time documents the plants and people of wild places armed with hiking boots, a camera and plenty of trail mix.
- 16 Gardening Tools for Kids
- How Gardening Can Improve Mental Health
- 4 Steps to a Backyard Garden
- 8 Fruits & Veggies You Can Regrow From Scraps
- 10 Beginner Steps to Starting a Garden
- How to Grow Milkweed
- USDA hardiness zone map
- Mother Earth News, ‘What to plant now tool’.
- Lead guidelines
Other Podcast Episodes to Check Out:
- Episode 64: Tips to Declutter Your Home
- Episode 48: Self-Care for Busy Families
- Episode 36: Dietitian-Approved Healthy Grocery Shopping Tips
Healthy Family Project Facebook Group
Join our Healthy Family Project Facebook group! This group will serve as a safe space for parents and caregivers to talk all about raising a healthy family – from dealing with a picky eater and tips to get more fruits and veggies onto plates to exercising as a family and mental health. We welcome all of you to join in!
Thank you so much for supporting the Healthy Family Project Podcast! We’d love if you could take 5 minutes to let us know how we can bring you the best possible content future episodes. Take the survey here.
Healthy Family Project Podcast
Conversations covering hot topics in the world of health, food and family with a dose of fun. Helping families ease their way into a new fresh and healthy world.
Be on the lookout for new bi-weekly episodes and don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or your favorite podcasting site. If you like an episode, make sure to leave a rating and comment.
If you are interested in being a guest on the Healthy Family Project podcast, contact [email protected] with your topic idea for consideration.