In this episode of Healthy Family Project, we talk to registered dietitian Julie Harrington of julieharringtonrd.com about how to make healthy choices at the grocery store that go beyond the perimeter of the store.
Julie believes that there is no one size fits all approach to nutrition and shares lots of great tips for finding healthy foods outside of the produce department, nutrition label hacks, and ways to make grocery shopping more efficient.
Julie Harrington, RD, is a registered dietitian, chef, and author. She is committed to helping people gain confidence in the kitchen to create nourishing meals.
She is the author of The Healing Soup Cookbook, hearty recipes to boost immunity and restore health. She also loves teaching kids culinary classes to encourage healthy eating habits at a young age.
Healthy Bites Featuring the National Watermelon Promotion Board
Today, we’re snacking on delicious Baked Fish Tacos with Watermelon Rind Slaw! Don’t toss those watermelon rinds when you’re done! Did you know they can be peeled and used in recipes like this crunchy slaw? A great way to not only reduce food waste at home, but infuse your favorites with new flavors!
Thank you so much for supporting the Healthy Family Project Podcast! We’d love it if you could take 5 minutes to let us know how we can bring you the best possible content for future episodes. Take the survey here.
Healthy Recipes & Tips in Your Inbox
Sign up for the Healthy Family Project e-newsletter to receive healthy recipe inspiration, our latest blog posts and more directly to your inbox each week.
Healthy Family Project Facebook Group
Join our Healthy Family Project Facebook group! This group will serve as a safe space for parents and caregivers to talk all about raising a healthy family – from dealing with a picky eater and tips to get more fruits and veggies onto plates to exercising as a family and mental health. We welcome all of you to join in!
Want to skip straight to a hot topic? See time stamps below. But of course, we recommend listening all the way through!
- 1:50 Welcome, Julie!
- 5:33 Where to look for healthy options in the grocery store
- 12:07 Is there a perfect ratio of fresh vs packaged food?
- 14:37 Tips for reading nutrition labels
- 21:06 Healthy Bite from the National Watermelon Promotion Board
- 24:11 How to make grocery shopping more efficient
- 30:46 What does a “Healthy Family” Mean?
- Connect with Julie on her website, Instagram and snag a copy of her book!
- Grocery Shopping Hacks to Save Money on Fresh Produce
- 5 Tips for Grocery Shopping on a Budget
- Navigating the Frozen Aisle at the Grocery Store
Other Podcast Episodes to Check Out:
- Ep10: Shopping Tips from a Grocery Store Dietitian
- Ep14: Why You Should Grocery Shop with Kids
- Ep27: Grocery Shopping on a Budget
Healthy Family Project Podcast
Conversations covering hot topics in the world of health, food and family with a dose of fun. Helping families ease their way into a new fresh and healthy world.
Be on the lookout for new bi-weekly episodes and don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or your favorite podcasting site. If you like an episode, make sure to leave a rating and comment.
If you are interested in being a guest on the Healthy Family Project podcast, contact email@example.com with your topic idea for consideration.