Who doesn’t love a great slow cooker chili recipe? This healthy, protein-packed Hearty Turkey & Kale Chili recipe will keep the whole family full until dinner.
Nutrition Tip: Looking to lower the calories in your chili? Opt for ground turkey breast. Turkey breast has few calories and just as much protein as other turkey meat options.
When the weather outside is frightful – and honestly even when it’s not! – there’s nothing more comforting than a warm bowl of chili. And while traditional chili can be heavy on the calories and fat, this hearty turkey and kale version is a healthier option that doesn’t sacrifice flavor. Best part? It all comes together easily with the help of the slow cooker!
Let’s look inside the bowl at why this will become your go-to chili recipe!
Ground Turkey and Kale in Chili
– Lean ground turkey: When it comes to making a hearty chili, many people automatically think of using ground beef as their protein of choice. However, there are plenty of reasons why you should consider using lean ground turkey instead. Here are just a few reasons why turkey makes a great addition to your chili recipe:
1. Turkey is a leaner protein than beef, so it will help keep your chili nice and light.
2. Turkey is just as hearty and filling as beef, so you won’t be sacrificing any flavor or texture by using it in your chili.
3. Adding some kale to your chili is a great way to sneak in some extra veggies, and the turkey will help balance out the bitterness of the kale.
– It’s packed with flavor: This hearty turkey and kale chili is packed with flavor, thanks to onion, green bell pepper, garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, tomato paste, and much more. It’s a simple recipe that comes together quickly and is perfect for a weeknight meal. And best of all, it’s healthy and hearty, making it a great option for those looking for a nutritious meal.
– Corn and black beans give it a Tex-mex feel: This turkey and kale chili is already hearty, but it also has a Tex-mex feel thanks to the corn and black beans. Then, if you add tortilla chips, it will complete the aesthetic and give it a nice crunch.
– The Greek Yogurt gives it an extra dose of protein: When it comes to chili, there are a few key ingredients that can make or break the dish. The type of meat you use, the spices you add, and even the topping can all impact the flavor of your chili. One ingredient that is often debated is what to put on top. While some people prefer sour cream, others find that plain Greek yogurt gives their chili an extra boost of flavor AND protein.
There are a few reasons why plain greek yogurt may be the better choice for your chili. First, Greek yogurt is lower in fat than sour cream, which means it won’t weigh down your dish. Second, the tanginess of Greek yogurt can help to balance out the spice of your chili. And lastly, Greek yogurt can help to thicken your chili, giving it a heartier texture.
– The kale gives you an extra serving of greens: When it comes to adding greens to your diet, kale is a great option. Not only is it packed with nutrients, but it also has a hearty texture that can stand up to other ingredients in a dish like chili. By adding kale to your chili, you’ll up your intake of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as fiber and minerals like iron and calcium. Plus, the extra greens will give your chili a boost of flavor. So next time you’re making chili, be sure to add some kale to the mix!
Hearty Turkey and Kale Chili
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded, diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons omato paste
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 15 oz. can low-sodium black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can no-salt-added corn, drained
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup unsalted tortilla chips crushed
- Add turkey, onion, pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, tomato paste, tomatoes, black beans, corn, broth and kale to slow cooker, and cook on low 8 hours.
- Top with Greek yogurt and tortilla chip