This vegetarian slow cooker pumpkin chili is easy to prep and cooks all day in the crockpot. Plus, pumpkin is healthy! This delicious fall recipe is created a registered dietitian, Jodi Danen.
This Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili recipe is the perfect way to add a bit of pumpkin to your dinner table!
I live in a neighborhood nestled on a hillside. While it’s a small hill, it has enough elevation to have some beautiful views, especially in fall. The color of the trees turning, the crisp cool air, and traditional fall foods make it my favorite time of year.
Fall recipe ideas are endless, and it seems the star of fall recipes is that beautiful orange squash – the pumpkin.
Pumpkin is an extremely versatile ingredient that can be added to boost the nutritional value of many recipes.
While I love making pumpkin breads and muffins, an unexpected way to use pumpkin is in soup. This Pumpkin Chili recipe is the perfect way to add a bit of pumpkin to your dinner table!
When it comes to the nutritional breakdown, pumpkin packs a huge fiber punch. Just one serving provides 20% of the daily value for fiber.
Pumpkin is rich in vitamin A, which helps support healthy vision, proper cell growth, and a strong immune system. The vibrant color of pumpkin comes from the carotenoid, beta-carotene. Beta-carotene has been the focus of much health research, with current evidence suggesting it may help protect against cancer and help fight inflammation.
I will be the first to admit, I wasn’t sure how my kids would like this recipe. My goal was to develop a vegetarian chili recipe that could cook all day in the crockpot. I wanted to try making my own version of pumpkin chili and got to work. The result was far better than I ever expected.
Nutrition Tip: Did you know that you can substitute pumpkin puree for either eggs or fat in baking recipes? Swap it in in one-for-one for oil or use 1/4 cup pumpkin puree instead of an egg.
My kids ended up loving this pumpkin chili. They kept commenting on how good this creamy chili was. I must admit, I may have left out the fact that there was pumpkin in their soup. I’ll save that for next time…
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium bell peppers diced
- 2 15 oz. cans pumpkin puree
- 2 15 oz. cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz. can Great Northern Beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and peppers, and cook 4 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add onions, peppers, pumpkin, tomatoes, broth, beans, maple syrup, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, pumpkin pie spice and pepper to slow cooker.
- Cook 2-3 hours on high, or 7-8 hours on low.
- Before serving, stir in cream cheese until melted.