Turn your morning smoothie into a fun breakfast by making it into a smoothie bowl! It’s a great way to add fruits and veggies to breakfast, plus kids can decorate with their own toppings for a fun treat. This Cherry Pear Smoothie Bowl recipe packs in 18g of protein and 6g of fiber to get your day started on the right foot.
Recipe and photo by Jodi of Create Kids Club.
Nutrition Tip: Pears contain a kind of starch called pectin that works in the body as a prebiotic–that’s something that “feeds” the healthy bacteria in the gut and guards against harmful bacteria.
We have been loving experimenting with different smoothie bowl ideas at our house. We had some fresh cherries and I knew that I wanted to incorporate these beauties somehow! This Cherry Pear Smoothie Bowl turned out so delicious and isn’t it pretty? We used fresh cherries, pears, some flax seeds, and Greek yogurt. You can always change up a few ingredients if you don’t have them on hand, or add more delicious fruits to your smoothie bowl, too!
What is a Smoothie Bowl?
Smoothie bowls are basically exactly what they sound like. You make a smoothie and pour it into a bowl. Generally smoothie bowls are a little thicker in consistency and then you can add more fruit and or vegetables on top. Then instead of drinking it with a straw, you use a spoon and eat it like yogurt or a parfait!
Key Ingredients for this Cherry Pear Smoothie Bowl
- Greek Yogurt– We chose Greek Yogurt in this smoothie bowl because it contains less sugar and is higher in protein. We like the thicker consistency and tangy taste, too.
- Cherries– These little red fruits are loaded with healthy benefits including Vitamins A & C, high in fiber, and can help fight inflammation within the body!
- Pears– This fat free fruit is low in calories, loaded with fiber, and high in Vitamin C. Soft and delicious makes this fruit a family friendly option.
- Flax– Ground flax seed is great to add to smoothies because of its fine texture and mild taste. This little seed is a great source of fiber and can help you feel fuller for longer!
How to make this Cherry Pear Smoothie Bowl
Step 1: Make the smoothie
First start by adding the Greek yogurt, milk, ¾ pears slices, 6 of the pitted cherries and some of the flax seed into a blender or your smoothie maker. Then blend until smooth.
Step 2: Decorate
Pour the smoothie evenly into 2 bowls and top with additional pear slices, more pitted cherries, and flax seed.
Step 3: Enjoy!
And make sure to PIN IT!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use regular yogurt?
Yes you can use the yogurt you have on hand or even a different flavor. We just love the texture and added nutrition of Greek yogurt!
What if I don’t have any flax seeds?
No falx seeds? No problem! If you have Chia seeds those would work well, also. Or of course you can leave them out all together.
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 1 pear, peeled, sliced
- 12 cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed, divided
- Add yogurt, milk, ¾ pears spices, 6 cherries and 1 Tbsp. flax seed into blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour evenly into 2 bowls and top with additional pear slices, cherries and flax seed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 4gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 115mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 6gSugar: 25gProtein: 18g