Move over pulled pork, there’s a new vegetarian and vegan-friendly alternative in town. Jackfruit, a large fruit native Asia, is making waves in the food scene. While ripe jackfruit is sweet and often served in desserts, unripe or young jackfruit had a less sweet, meatier texture making it a perfect substitution for meat. This BBQ jackfruit sandwich cooks in a homemade BBQ sauce and it topped with a delicious avocado coleslaw.
Nutrition Tip: Whether you eat this fruit as it is or combine it with savory spices, jackfruit contains 3 grams of protein per cup —a unique trait for a fruit!
BBQ Jackfruit Sandwich with Avocado Slaw
- 3 cups young jackfruit shredded
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cups no-salt-added ketchup
- 3/4 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 avocados
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 16 oz. bag coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 8 whole wheat buns
- Chop jackfruit into small pieces. Sprinkle with brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder and pepper. Stir to coat.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add jackfruit and cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add ketchup, tomato sauce, mustard and molasses. Stir and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mash avocado, lime juice and salt in large bowl. Add cabbage and sunflower seeds. Stir to coat.
- Top buns with BBQ jackfruit and slaw.