Apple & Berry Quinoa Crisp Breakfast Bowl
All the flavors of a favorite summer dessert packed into a Apple and Berry Quinoa Crisp Bowl for a healthy way to start your day.
The quinoa and apple-berry topping can both be made the day ahead. Just store in separate containers and reheat before serving.
Wait! You Can Eat Quinoa for Breakfast?!?
Yes! If you think quinoa is only meant to be eaten as a savory dish, think again. This protein-packed grain can actually be used to make a variety of sweet dishes that are just as satisfying and delicious as their savory counterparts.
One of the simplest ways to enjoy quinoa as a sweet dish is to cook it in milk instead of water. This will give the quinoa a creamy texture that is perfect for eating with fresh fruit or using as a base for a homemade granola. Another great way to enjoy quinoa for dessert is to bake it into cakes or muffins. These recipes often call for using quinoa flour, but you can also use regular quinoa that has been pulsed in a food processor until it forms a fine powder.
Which Berries Are Best In This Breakfast Bowl?
There are many different types of berries, each with their own unique flavor and nutritional value. So, I recommend picking your favorites and experimenting! Try blackberries and blueberries one day, then maybe strawberries and raspberries tomorrow. So many delicious options!
In terms of taste, blackberries are tart and juicy, with a slightly sweet flavor that is sure to please your taste buds. And when it comes to versatility, blackberries can be used in both sweet and savory dishes.
Another popular berry is the blueberry. Blueberries are known for their antioxidant properties and have been shown to be helpful in reducing the risk of some chronic diseases.
Raspberries are a good source of Vitamin C and manganese, and they also contain ellagic acid, which has been shown to have cancer-fighting properties.
One of the most popular berries is the strawberry. Strawberries are not only delicious, but they are also a good source of Vitamin C and fiber.
The apple is also important in this Apple & Berry Quinoa Crisp Breakfast Bowl 😉
Here are just a few of the reasons we love apples:
1. Apples are a great source of fiber. This soluble fiber can help regulate digestion and keep you feeling full longer.
2. Apples contain antioxidants that can help protect your cells from damage.
3. The vitamins and minerals in apples can help boost your immune system, keeping you healthy during cold and flu season.
4. Apples are a low-calorie fruit that makes a great snack or addition to a meal. This means you can enjoy the taste of apples without guilt!
5. Lastly, apples are just plain delicious!
Can I Make This Apple & Berry Quinoa Crisp Breakfast Bowl Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! When it comes to breakfast, we all know that it’s the most important meal of the day. But sometimes, we just don’t have the time to make a healthy breakfast in the morning. That’s where make ahead breakfasts come in!
One of our favorite make ahead breakfasts is this Apple and Berry Quinoa Crisp Bowl because it’s packed with nutritious and filling ingredients like quinoa, greek yogurt, and apples. Plus, it’s topped with a delicious berry blend.
You can either eat this Apple and Berry Quinoa Crisp Breakfast Bowl cold, or heat and eat it for a flavor packed treat that will almost have you thinking you’re eating dessert for breakfast. YUM!
Nutrition Tip: Apples are a good source of several antioxidants, including quercetin, catechin, and chlorogenic acid. These plant compounds are responsible for many of the health benefits of apples.
Make sure to PIN IT!
Apple & Berry Quinoa Crisp Bowl
- 1 cup quinoa cooked according to package
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1 Gala apple chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup strawberry Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 graham cracker sheet crumbled
- Mix blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, apple, brown sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes, or until apples are soft.
- In separate bowl, combine yogurt and almond milk; mix until smooth.
- Divide quinoa between 4 bowls. Add berry mixture and yogurt mixture. Top with graham cracker
Yum, this looks so good!