This vegetarian breakfast sandwich comes together fast and will last the family through the morning.
We’ve shared a bunch of vegetarian options on our website. From our Vegetarian Quinoa Burrito Bowls to our Bibimbap Bowls with Gochujang Soy Sauce, and our Naan Pizzas to our Mediterranean Vegetarian Stuffed Avocados. We believe in occasionally going meat free, even if we’re not following strict vegetarian or vegan lifestyles.
This veggie egg sandwich recipe is just one of many examples of how you can enjoy a flavorful meal that tastes so good you probably won’t even miss the meat! If you’ve been considering incorporating more meatless dishes in your repertoire, this breakfast is a fabulous place to start.
Benefits of Occasionally Going Meat Free
Occasionally going meat-free and incorporating vegetarian options into your diet, such as having a veggie egg sandwich instead of always using sausage or bacon, can offer several benefits:
– By including vegetarian options in your diet, you introduce a wider range of plant-based foods, such as vegetables, fruits, legumes, whole grains, and nuts. These foods provide an array of essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, and phytochemicals, which contribute to overall health and well-being.
– Different plant-based ingredients offer unique nutritional profiles, allowing you to access a variety of nutrients that may not be as prevalent in meat-based options. For example, vegetables can provide additional vitamins and minerals, while legumes offer plant-based protein and fiber.
Reduced Saturated Fat and Cholesterol:
– Meat, particularly processed meats like sausages and bacon, can be high in saturated fat and cholesterol. By occasionally opting for meat-free alternatives, you reduce your intake of these potentially harmful components. This can contribute to better heart health and help manage cholesterol levels.
Increased Fiber Intake:
– Plant-based foods are typically higher in dietary fiber compared to meat products. By choosing a veggie egg sandwich or other meat-free options, you boost your fiber intake. Fiber aids in digestion, promotes satiety, and supports a healthy gut.
– Choosing vegetarian options occasionally helps reduce the environmental impact associated with meat production. Livestock agriculture has a significant carbon footprint and requires substantial resources like land and water. By incorporating more plant-based meals, even on a small scale, you contribute to sustainability efforts and conservation of resources.
Culinary Exploration and Taste:
– Trying vegetarian options expands your culinary horizons and encourages creativity in the kitchen. Experimenting with different ingredients, herbs, and spices can lead to exciting flavor combinations and enjoyable meals. You may discover new favorite recipes and find satisfaction in exploring the versatility of plant-based foods.
Going meat-free once in a while, and incorporating vegetarian options into your diet, you can enjoy the benefits of increased nutritional variety, reduced saturated fat and cholesterol, improved environmental sustainability, and culinary exploration. It’s a flexible approach that allows you to make conscious choices based on your preferences and health goals while still enjoying the occasional indulgence in meat-free meals.
Veggie Egg Sandwich FAQs
How can I get my egg in a perfect circle for bagel sandwiches like in this veggie egg sandwich?
Use a round shaping tool like an egg ring. Just be sure to grease it before you use it! Then, place the shaping tool in a non-stick skillet or griddle and preheat it over medium heat. Once the shaping tool is heated, carefully crack the egg into the center of it. The egg will spread out to fill the circular shape. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper or any other desired seasonings onto the egg. Allow the egg to cook until the whites are set and the yolk reaches your preferred level of doneness. If you prefer a runny yolk, you can cover the skillet with a lid for a few minutes to help the yolk cook slightly.
To remove the shaping tool, be sure you use tongs or oven mitts because it will be very hot when you take it out of the pan!
What are some pairing suggestions with this veggie egg sandwich?
When it comes to pairing suggestions for the Veggie Egg Sandwich, there are several delicious options that can complement the flavors and provide a well-rounded meal. Here are some ideas:
- Fresh Fruit Salad: Serve the Veggie Egg Sandwich with a side of fresh fruit salad. Choose a variety of seasonal fruits like berries, melons, grapes, and citrus for a refreshing and vibrant accompaniment.
- Mixed Green Salad (Perfect for a brunch!): Create a simple mixed green salad with a variety of leafy greens, such as baby spinach, arugula, or mixed lettuces. Add cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, and a light vinaigrette dressing for a fresh and nutritious side.
- Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries: Pair the Veggie Egg Sandwich with a side of crispy oven-baked sweet potato fries. Slice sweet potatoes into thin wedges, toss them with olive oil, salt, and your favorite seasonings, then bake until golden brown and crispy.
- Greek Yogurt with Granola: Enjoy a creamy Greek yogurt with a sprinkling of granola as a side dish. This combination provides a satisfying mix of protein, fiber, and healthy fats while adding a pleasant contrast in textures.
These pairing suggestions provide a variety of textures, flavors, and nutritional elements to enhance your Veggie Egg Sandwich. Feel free to mix and match based on your preferences and dietary needs to create a balanced and satisfying meal.
How do I pick a ripe avocado?
To pick a ripe avocado, gently squeeze it in the palm of your hand. A ripe avocado should yield slightly to gentle pressure, but it should not be too soft or mushy. Additionally, the skin color may vary depending on the avocado variety, so focus on the texture rather than the color. If the avocado feels firm and unyielding, it is not yet ripe and will need more time to ripen. Conversely, if it feels overly soft or squishy, it may be overripe. Look for avocados that have a slight give when gently squeezed for the perfect level of ripeness.
Can I change what is on my veggie egg sandwich?
Absolutely! The beauty of a veggie egg sandwich is its versatility and customization options. Feel free to change and modify the ingredients based on your preferences or what you have available. You can add or substitute different vegetables like bell peppers, spinach, or mushrooms. Experiment with various cheeses, spreads, or herbs to enhance the flavor profile. The goal is to make the sandwich enjoyable for your taste buds, so don’t hesitate to get creative and personalize it to suit your cravings and dietary needs.
Let’s make this veggie egg sandwich!
Veggie Egg Sandwich
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 whole wheat mini bagels
- 2 slices lowfat Cheddar cheese
- 2 slices tomato
- 1/4 medium avocado thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup baby spinach
- Whisk eggs in small bowl.
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat; add eggs and cook 3-5 minutes, or until firm.
- Toast bagels and top with eggs, cheese, tomato, avocado and spinach.