One-pot lasagna takes on a new meaning with this easy-to-cook slow cooker recipe. Double the batch and freeze for a quick dinner later.
Get more fresh takes on holiday favorites with our free e-cookbook.
Delicious Food With Minimal Effort – Slow Cooker Veggie Lasagna
I love a good lasagna, but I don’t particularly love the time and effort it takes to prepare it. If this hit you right in the feels too, look no further! Our Slow Cooker Veggie Lasagna recipe is here to save the day. This easy-to-cook one-pot wonder will have you enjoying the deliciousness of lasagna without the hassle of traditional methods.
This Slow Cooker Veggie Lasagna recipe takes the concept of lasagna to a whole new level by infusing it with wholesome veggies and layers of cheesy goodness. With just a few simple ingredients and your trusty slow cooker, you can create a mouthwatering lasagna that will impress your family and friends.
The beauty of this recipe is how versatile it is. Feel free to customize it according to your taste preferences or dietary needs. The combination of earthy mushrooms, vibrant bell peppers, sweet onions, and nutrient-packed baby spinach adds a delightful medley of flavors and textures to this classic Italian dish. And if you’re a fan of zucchini, you’re in for a treat! Sliced zucchini perfectly complements the other ingredients, adding a fresh and light element to the lasagna.
To make this Slow Cooker Veggie Lasagna even more appealing, you can easily double the batch and freeze the leftovers. This way, you’ll have a quick and satisfying dinner option waiting for you on those busy weeknights when time is of the essence.
So, whether you’re a seasoned cook or a beginner in the kitchen, this recipe is bound to impress. Let the slow cooker work its magic as the flavors meld together, resulting in a lasagna that is hearty, flavorful, and oh-so-comforting. With each bite, you’ll savor the rich combination of melted mozzarella cheese, tangy pasta sauce, and the medley of vegetables, all layered between tender, no-boil whole wheat lasagna noodles.
A Look Inside – Nutritional Benefits of Our Slow Cooker Veggie Lasagna
Let’s take a closer look at the nutritional value of each component:
- Olive Oil: The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of olive oil, which is a healthier alternative to other cooking oils. Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, which have been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease. It also contains antioxidants that have anti-inflammatory properties and may help protect against chronic diseases.
- Mushrooms: The recipe includes a pint of chopped mushrooms, which are a low-calorie and nutrient-dense ingredient. Mushrooms are a great source of vitamins and minerals, including B vitamins, copper, and selenium. They are also a natural source of antioxidants and dietary fiber, which can support a healthy digestive system.
- Green Bell Pepper: Green bell peppers add a vibrant color and refreshing flavor to the lasagna. They are packed with vitamins A, C, and K, as well as dietary fiber. Bell peppers also contain antioxidants that may help protect against cellular damage and support overall health.
- Sweet Onion: The addition of a large sweet onion not only enhances the flavor of the lasagna but also provides important nutrients. Onions are a good source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, and dietary fiber. They also contain compounds that have been associated with various health benefits, such as reducing inflammation and supporting heart health.
- Baby Spinach: The recipe incorporates 3 cups of chopped baby spinach, which is a leafy green vegetable known for its nutritional value. Spinach is low in calories but rich in vitamins A, C, and K, as well as folate, iron, and calcium. It is also a good source of antioxidants, which can help combat oxidative stress in the body.
- Cottage Cheese: The recipe includes 1 pound of 2% cottage cheese, which adds creaminess and protein to the lasagna. Cottage cheese is a great source of protein, calcium, and phosphorus. It is also lower in fat compared to other cheese varieties, making it a healthier choice.
- Mozzarella Cheese: The lasagna is layered with shredded mozzarella cheese, providing a gooey and satisfying texture. Mozzarella cheese is a good source of calcium and protein. It also contains essential nutrients like phosphorus and vitamin B12.
- Salt: While the recipe calls for a small amount of salt (1/4 teaspoon), it helps enhance the flavors of the dish. It’s important to note that excessive sodium intake should be avoided, so it’s best to use salt in moderation.
- Low-Sodium Pasta Sauce: The lasagna is enriched with a 26 oz. jar of low-sodium pasta sauce. This choice reduces the overall sodium content of the dish. The specific nutritional profile may vary depending on the brand and ingredients used in the sauce.
- Zucchini: Sliced zucchini adds a touch of freshness and nutritional benefits to the lasagna. Zucchini is low in calories and a good source of dietary fiber, vitamins A and C, and minerals like potassium. It also adds a delightful texture to the dish.
- Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles: The recipe calls for 8 ounces of no-boil whole wheat lasagna noodles. Whole wheat noodles provide more fiber and nutrients compared to refined wheat noodles. They are a good source of complex carbohydrates and can help regulate blood sugar levels.
By incorporating these nutrient-packed ingredients into your Slow Cooker Veggie Lasagna, you’re not only indulging in a delicious meal but also nourishing your body with a variety of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. Enjoy the flavors while reaping the nutritional benefits of this wholesome recipe!
Related – Check out our other Lasagna recipes:
Let’s make this Slow Cooker Veggie Lasagna!
Slow Cooker Veggie Lasagna
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint mushrooms chopped
- 1 green bell pepper seeded, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion finely chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach chopped
- 1 pound 2% cottage cheese
- 2 cups plus 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 26 oz. jar low-sodium pasta sauce
- 2 large zucchini sliced ¼-inch thick
- 8 ounces no-boil whole wheat lasagna noodles
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, peppers, onions and spinach, and cook 5 minutes, or until water evaporates.
- Mix cottage cheese, 2 cups mozzarella cheese and salt in mixing bowl.
- Assemble lasagna in slow cooker as follows: ⅓ of pasta sauce, single layer noodles, ⅓ of cooked vegetables, single layer zucchini and ⅓ of cottage cheese mixture. Repeat for another 2 layers. Sprinkle ½ cup mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cook on low 5 hours, or until noodles and zucchini are tender.