Get kids to eat their veggies with this fun and tasty green eggs and ham recipe! This healthy breakfast sandwich is ready in under 10 minutes and perfect for celebrating Dr. Seuss’ birthday and St. Patrick’s Day.
Well, we have all heard of “Green Eggs and Ham” but have you actually ever eaten it? Earlier this month, we celebrated Dr. Seuss’ birthday by creating this version of a Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast Sandwich for the kids. This green breakfast idea would are also perfect for your St. Patrick’s Day celebration!
The best part? You can sneak in some extra veggies because these eggs get their green color from spinach, not food coloring!
This green eggs and ham breakfast sandwich recipe is a great way to build memories together and try something new all while squeezing in a few extra veggies along the way.
To get those perfectly green eggs, we’re using a secret weapon – the blender. Add your eggs, spinach and a splash of water to the blender and let it do it’s thing.
The result? Seriously whipped green eggs ready for cooking. Pour into a preheated nonstick skillet and cook.
Key Ingredients for these Green Eggs & Ham Breakfast Sandwiches
- Whole Wheat Muffins
So yes we used fresh spinach to make the eggs green versus food coloring! So this easy breakfast idea for the kids is not only fun it is healthy, too! Spinach is a power food for so many reasons. This leafy green is loaded with Vitamins A, C, and E! Spinach is also a great for helping to lower blood pressure, is great for your vision, and is loaded with anti-oxidants.
For more on Spinach check out our Produce Tips Page!
And if your kids love to help in the kitchen, have them make this breakfast with you! They can add the ingredients to the blender and assemble their own sandwiches. If they are a little more experienced, they can help cook the eggs, too.
How to make these easy green egg breakfast sandwiches
First toast the English muffins and set aside.
Next place the eggs, spinach and 1 Tbsp. water in to a blender and blend until smooth.
Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Then add in the egg mixture. When partially set, use spatula to cut in half and flip. Let cook for about 30 seconds, or until done. Season with some salt and pepper, to taste.
Top one half of English muffin with cheese, ham, egg and other half of English muffin.
Don’t forget to serve your fun breakfast sandwiches with some fresh fruit and a tall glass of OJ.
Additions & Substitutions:
- If you don’t have any English muffins, these would be great on some whole wheat toast or even wrapped up in tortillas.
- We used low fat cheddar cheese but swiss or provolone cheese would be great, too!
Make sure to PIN IT!
Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 whole wheat English muffins
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 slices lowfat Cheddar cheese
- 2 slices low-sodium ham
- Toast English muffins; set aside.
- Place eggs, spinach and 1 Tbsp. water in blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat medium skillet over medium heat; spray with cooking spray. Add egg mixture. When partially set, use spatula to cut in half and flip. Let cook 30 seconds, or until done. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top one half of English muffin with cheese, ham, egg and other half of English muffin.