This Citrus Asian Broccoli Slaw recipe can be made up to three days in advance (wait to add almonds until just before serving for the most crunch) and pairs well alongside our Asian Pulled Pork Sliders, Chicken Veggie Wraps or Hidden Veggie Turkey Meatballs.
Nutrition Tip: Broccoli is sometimes referred to as the “Crown of Jewel Nutrition,” and for good reason. This vegetable is packed with potassium, folate, vitamin K, and C for supporting your heart, bones, and skin.
Citrus Asian Broccoli Slaw: A Refreshing Crunch for Busy Days
I was looking for a delicious and nutritious side dish that can be prepared in advance. That’s how I came up with this Citrus Asian Broccoli Slaw. This refreshing slaw is not only packed with flavor but also offers a host of health benefits. Plus, you can make it up to three days ahead of time! So, let’s dive into this recipe and get those taste buds tingling!
A Quick Look at the Ingredients
Here’s what’s inside this nutrition packed Citrus Asian Broccoli Slaw:
1. Broccoli Slaw
– Packed with Nutrients: Broccoli is rich in essential nutrients such as potassium, folate, vitamin K, and vitamin C. These nutrients support heart health, aid in blood clotting, contribute to strong bones, and promote healthy skin.
– Antioxidant Powerhouse: Broccoli contains various antioxidants, including flavonoids and carotenoids, which help protect the body from oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
– Fiber-Rich: Broccoli is a great source of dietary fiber, which aids digestion, promotes a healthy gut, and helps maintain a feeling of fullness.
Additional ingredients that typically come in broccoli slaw packages are red cabbage and carrots – both of which have their own nutritional benefits such as vitamins A, C, and K.
2. Citrus Fruits (Mandarins and Grapefruit)
– Immune Boosting: Citrus fruits are known for their high vitamin C content, which is essential for a healthy immune system and acts as an antioxidant to protect cells from damage.
– Hydration and Electrolytes: Citrus fruits are hydrating due to their high water content. They also contain electrolytes like potassium, which helps maintain proper fluid balance and supports muscle function.
– Fiber and Antioxidants: Citrus fruits provide dietary fiber that aids digestion and supports heart health. They also contain antioxidants like flavonoids, which have anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties.
– Plant-Based Protein: Edamame is a rich source of plant-based protein, making it an excellent option for vegetarians and vegans. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissues and supports muscle health.
– Fiber Boost: Edamame contains dietary fiber that promotes healthy digestion, aids in maintaining healthy cholesterol levels, and supports weight management.
– Nutrient Powerhouse: Edamame is packed with nutrients such as folate, vitamin K, vitamin C, and iron. These nutrients contribute to overall health and well-being.
– Heart-Healthy Fats: Almonds are rich in monounsaturated fats, which are considered heart-healthy fats. They help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
– Nutrient Density: Almonds are a good source of vitamin E, magnesium, and other essential nutrients. Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant, while magnesium supports bone health, muscle function, and energy production.
– Satiety and Weight Management: Almonds provide dietary fiber and protein, which promote feelings of fullness, aid in weight management, and help control blood sugar levels.
These beneficial details highlight the nutritional value of the ingredients used in the Citrus Asian Broccoli Slaw, emphasizing the overall health benefits that this flavorful dish can offer.
Why Make It?
There are several compelling reasons to make this Citrus Asian Broccoli Slaw:
Delicious and Refreshing
This slaw is bursting with flavors that are both tangy and refreshing. The combination of citrus fruits, broccoli, and the tangy dressing creates a vibrant and satisfying taste experience.
By incorporating broccoli, citrus fruits, edamame, and almonds, this slaw is packed with essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It offers a range of nutrients that support heart health, boost the immune system, aid in digestion, and promote overall well-being.
One of the biggest advantages of this recipe is that it can be made up to three days in advance. This is a huge time-saver, especially for busy moms. By preparing it ahead of time, you can have a healthy and flavorful side dish ready to go when you need it.
This Citrus Asian Broccoli Slaw pairs well with a variety of main dishes, such as Asian Pulled Pork Sliders, Chicken Veggie Wraps, or Hidden Veggie Turkey Meatballs. It adds a refreshing crunch and complements the flavors of other dishes, making it a versatile and complementary addition to your meal.
If you’re looking for healthier alternatives to traditional slaws or side dishes, this recipe is an excellent option. It contains wholesome ingredients, minimal added sugar, and beneficial fats, making it a nutritious choice for you and your family.
This Citrus Asian Broccoli Slaw is not only healthy but also appealing to both kids and adults. The combination of vibrant colors, crunchy textures, and familiar flavors from citrus fruits makes it more likely to be enjoyed by the whole family, including picky eaters.
Overall, making this Citrus Asian Broccoli Slaw allows you to enjoy a delicious, nutritious, and convenient side dish that can elevate your meals, support your health goals, and please the taste buds of your loved ones. It’s a win-win situation!
Meal Prep Ideas for This Recipe
Here are some meal prep ideas for the Citrus Asian Broccoli Slaw:
– Portion the Citrus Asian Broccoli Slaw into individual airtight containers. Add grilled chicken, shrimp, or tofu for added protein.
– Prepare a batch of the slaw and divide it into containers. Pack some cooked quinoa or brown rice on the side for a complete and satisfying meal.
– Pack the slaw alongside whole wheat wraps or lettuce leaves to create delicious and refreshing wraps or lettuce wraps.
Family Dinner Side Dish:
– Prepare the Citrus Asian Broccoli Slaw ahead of time and refrigerate it. Serve it as a side dish for various family dinners throughout the week.
– Pair the slaw with grilled salmon, teriyaki chicken, or sesame tofu for a flavorful and balanced meal.
– Add the slaw to tacos or sliders for a refreshing crunch and burst of flavor.
Picnic or Potluck Contribution:
– Prepare a larger batch of the slaw for a picnic or potluck gathering. It’s a crowd-pleasing dish that can be enjoyed by both adults and kids.
– Pack the slaw in a portable container and bring it along with your favorite protein options, such as grilled skewers or baked chicken tenders.
– Serve the slaw as a side dish alongside sandwiches, burgers, or BBQ dishes.
Meal Prep for Busy Days:
– Prep the individual components of the slaw in advance. Slice the almonds, cook the bacon, and prepare the dressing separately. Combine them with the remaining ingredients when you’re ready to assemble and serve the slaw.
– Keep the components stored in separate containers to maintain freshness and maximize crunchiness.
– Assemble the slaw just before serving to ensure it stays crisp and flavorful.
Remember to store the prepared slaw in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to three days, allowing you to enjoy it throughout the week without the hassle of preparing it from scratch every time.
Let’s make this Citrus Asian Broccoli Slaw!
Citrus Asian Broccoli Slaw
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 slices uncured bacon
- 1 10 oz. package broccoli slaw
- 2 mandarins peeled, chopped
- 1/2 grapefruit peeled, chopped
- 1/3 cup shelled cooked edamame
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Spread almonds on baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake 5-7 minutes, stirring halfway through, to toast evenly. Set aside to cool.
- Place bacon on microwave-safe plate lined with two paper towels. Place two more paper towels on top and microwave on HIGH 2-1/2 minutes or until cooked through and crispy. Set aside to cool.
- Combine broccoli slaw, oranges, grapefruit and edamame in large bowl. Crumble cooked bacon over top and gently mix.
- In small mixing bowl, whisk sugar, vinegar and oil. Pour over broccoli mixture and toss to coat. Add almonds and toss again. Serve chilled or at room temperature.