Craving a lunch or dinner that’s light, but filling? This Chicken Waldorf Salad is just the thing! Filled with 28g of protein, lots of fruits and veggies, crunchy nuts, and brought together with a lightened-up Greek yogurt dressing, it’s the perfect meal any time of the year. Serve solo, over a bed of salad greens, or in a wrap.
Nutrition Tip: Greek yogurt is an ideal swap for mayo because it’s thick and creamy–but unlike mayo, it offers protein and calcium too. Greek yogurt is lower in (natural) sugar and higher in protein than regular yogurt.
Getting tired of the same old sandwich routine? Myself and the kids loved this fun and Easy Picnic Bento Box this Summer and now we are excited to pack it for the school year! Capture your favorite summer picnic foods in the form of a bento box! Better yet, the kids can help whip up this delicious chicken salad and assemble into their bento boxes themselves!
I think this Easy Picnic Bento Box filled with our Chicken Waldorf Salad is perfect all year long with chicken salad, ants on a log, and some fruit. This meal will fuel anyone’s day with protein, fruits, and vegetables! We gave the normal chicken salad a little makeover by swapping Greek yogurt for the mayo and adding grapes. So it is a little lighter than the normal mayo based salad. Since we try to add as many fruits and vegetables into our packed lunches as possible, we added the grapes right to the chicken salad. Then we packed a few of our favorite fruits and veggies on the side. So use what your family likes whether it is blueberries, carrot sticks, or string cheese.
Want to have the kids help pack their own lunches? This bento box idea is perfect for them to help with. Offer to read off the ingredients as they mix it all together in a bowl. Then they can scoop it right into their own box and then assemble with their favorite sides, crackers, etc.
Key Ingredients for the best Chicken Waldorf Salad
- Chicken– this lean protein is great for our bone health, helps fight off colds, and is good for the heart. My kids love chicken, so I knew this chicken salad would be a new favorite with them.
- Grapes– this heart healthy fruit is a staple and our house as a healthy snack, toss them into this recipe for a little added sweetness!
- Celery– Celery is a very good source of folate, potassium, and fiber. Most households keep it around for snacks, soups, and bases to many recipes. Celery in chicken salad adds a nice crunch and flavor.
Make sure to check out our Health Benefits of Grapes post, too!
How to make an Easy Chicken Waldorf Salad Picnic Bento Box
- First make the chicken salad by adding the cooked chicken, Greek yogurt, honey, mustard, and garlic powder. Salt and pepper to taste and mix it all up.
- Then stir in the grapes, pecans, and onions.
- Next assemble the Ants on a Log with celery, peanut butter and raisins.
- Serve with your favorite crackers and strawberries or sides of choice.
Chicken Waldorf Salad
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups cooked cubed chicken breast
- 2 medium Gala apples diced
- 1 cup halved red seedless grapes
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix yogurt, lemon juice and honey in small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine chicken, apples, grapes, celery and walnuts in large bowl. Add yogurt and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.