Cheesy, healthy and delicious – can’t ask for more! This wonderful, healthily stuffed mushroom recipe is the perfect meatless dinner option that will satisfy and please even the most loyal ‘meat and potatoes’ eater.
Nutrition Tip: Mushrooms are unique in that they are a plant source of vitamin D! Studies show that this vitamin is best absorbed by the body if mushrooms are cooked rather than consumed raw.
Cheesy Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 ribs celery finely chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 to matoes chopped
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 portabella mushroom caps stems removed
- 3 tablespoons Italian dressing
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium low heat; add onions, peppers and celery, and cook 4 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add spinach and tomato. Cook 2 minutes, or until spinach wilts.
- Add quinoa and 1½ cups water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil; stir. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until quinoa has softened. If quinoa is soft but all liquid has not been absorbed, strain. Gently stir in ½ cup cheese.
- Place mushrooms on 13 x 9” rimmed baking sheet; brush with vinaigrette. Spoon quinoa into mushrooms. Sprinkle each mushroom with 1 tablespoon of cheese
- Bake 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and mushrooms are heated through