Traditional Chicken Parmesan gets a healthier makeover with this baked version. Chicken is lightly coated in a mix of breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese and baked, rather than fried. Substitute regular pasta for spiralized sweet potatoes (sweet potato noodles) for a punch of Vitamin A. Keep the skin on the potatoes for added nutrients!
Nutrition Tip: Sweet potatoes are a low glycemic index [GI] food, meaning glucose is slowly released into the bloodstream, making them a safe food for individuals with diabetes.
- 6 (4 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons (plus 1 Tbsp.) olive oil
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 tablespoons low-sodium marinara sauce
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, spiralized
- 2 tablespoons Italian dressing
- fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese on a plate. Brush chicken with 3 Tbsp. olive oil and dip into breadcrumb mixture, pressing breadcrumbs into chicken.
- Place chicken on prepare baking sheet and bake 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from oven. Add 1 Tbsp. marinara and 1 ½ Tbsp. mozzarella on top of each chicken breast. Return to oven and bake 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potato noodles and cook 5 minutes, or until noodles soften. Add dressing and toss until noodles are well coated.
- Serve chicken with sweet potato noodles.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 425Total Fat: 14gSodium: 433mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 31g