Ready for a healthy makeover of a classic Italian dish? Try this Baked Chicken Parmesan with Sweet Potato Noodles! The juicy chicken is lightly coated in a mix of breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese and then baked, rather than fried. Then we step it up by substituting regular pasta for spiralized sweet potatoes (sweet potato noodles) for a punch of Vitamin A. Keep the skin on the potatoes for added nutrients!
Okay sweetpotato noodles? Yes! If you haven’t tried them, they are a must. You get the feeling of eating pasta with the extra nutrients that sweet potatoes provide. If you don’t incorporate the veggie into your diet that often you should start. Sweet potatoes are loaded with fiber which is great for our digestive track. They are also great for boosting our immunity, can help aid in weight management, can help arthritis, and they are known to help fight against certain heart disease.
Nutrition Tip: Sweet potatoes are a low glycemic index [GI] food, meaning glucose is slowly released into the bloodstream, making them a safe food for individuals with diabetes.
What we love about Baked Chicken Parmesan with Sweet Potato Noodles
My kids love chicken parmesan and so do I. Well we decided to try our restaurant favorite at home by baking it instead. This Baked Chicken Parmesan with Sweet Potato Noodles was a win and have made it several times now. Really all you need for this easy weeknight dinner is a few ingredients, a baking sheet, and a spiralizer. Then you will be on your way to a tasty healthier dinner option to add to the rotation.
Key Ingredients for this Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Marinara Sauce
How to Make this Baked Chicken Parmesan with Sweet Potato Noodles
First start by preheating the oven to 425°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Next combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese on a plate. Brush the chicken with 3 Tbsp. of olive oil and dip into the breadcrumb mixture, pressing breadcrumbs into chicken.
Then place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from oven. Then add 1 Tbsp. of marinara and 1 ½ Tbsp. mozzarella on top of each chicken breast. Return to oven and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sweet potato noodles and cook 5 minutes, or until the noodles soften. Add the dressing and toss until noodles are well coated.
Serve the baked chicken with the sweet potato noodles. Enjoy!
Make sure to Pin It!
Additions & Substitutions:
- Are you gluten free? Try some Gluten Free Bread crumbs in this recipe.
- Don’t have any sweet potatoes? Of course you could spiralize some zucchini for the noodles, too!
- Want to try this recipe in your Air Fryer? This would turn out great!
Baked Chicken Parmesan with Sweet Potato Noodles
- 6 4 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 tablespoons low-sodium marinara sauce
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes spiralized
- 2 tablespoons Italian dressing
- fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese on a plate. Brush chicken with 3 Tbsp. olive oil and dip into breadcrumb mixture, pressing breadcrumbs into chicken.
- Place chicken on prepare baking sheet and bake 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from oven. Add 1 Tbsp. marinara and 1 ½ Tbsp. mozzarella on top of each chicken breast. Return to oven and bake 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potato noodles and cook 5 minutes, or until noodles soften. Add dressing and toss until noodles are well coated.
- Serve chicken with sweet potato noodles.