In this episode of Healthy Family Project, we talk to Richard McCarthy, Meatless Monday Culinary Ambassador, about the importance of family dinner and how families can kick start important conversations at the dinner table.
Richard McCarthy is a community development specialist, whose quest for behavior change always puts carrots ahead of sticks. In 2005, he developed one of the nation’s first farmers market incentive programs to promote local vegetable consumption among SNAP consumers in New Orleans.
Based in Brooklyn, NY, he spends hours in the kitchen with his wife and daughter exploring the traditional knowledge of global cuisines that take ordinary and affordable ingredients to prepare culinary surprises that put vegetables first. An author, broadcaster, and organizer, he values food as the bridge between people.
- Writings: Slow Down with Banana com Queijo
- Radio: Farmers Market Minute on WWNO-FM
- Video: From Disaster to Dessert on rebuilding after Hurricane Katrina; Debate with Sam Kass at the James Beard Foundation
Healthy Bite Featuring US Cranberries
Today, we’re snacking on No-Bake Cranberry Pistachio Bites! Packed with oats, dried cranberries, pistachios, peanut butter, and flaxseed, with a touch of sweetness from the maple syrup, these granola bites will help fill kids up and keep hunger at bay until dinner. No baking required and easy enough that kids can prep themselves. We partnered with US Cranberries to share more delicious ways to use cranberries this summer.
Thank you so much for supporting the Healthy Family Project Podcast! We’d love it if you could take 5 minutes to let us know how we can bring you the best possible content for future episodes. Take the survey here.
Healthy Recipes & Tips in Your Inbox
Sign up for the Healthy Family Project e-newsletter to receive healthy recipe inspiration, our latest blog posts and more directly to your inbox each week.
Healthy Family Project Facebook Group
Join our Healthy Family Project Facebook group! This group will serve as a safe space for parents and caregivers to talk all about raising a healthy family – from dealing with a picky eater and tips to get more fruits and veggies onto plates to exercising as a family and mental health. We welcome all of you to join in!
Want to skip straight to a hot topic? See time stamps below. But of course, we recommend listening all the way through!
- 3:59 Welcome, Richard!
- 5:54 Why are family meals important?
- 12:13 Starting Family Conversations: Rose & Thorns
- 14:11 How to get family conversations flowing
- 19:53 How to engage with your tweens and teens
- 23:14 Healthy Bite Featuring US Cranberries
- 25:22 Why is it important for kids to have a say in dinner?
- 31:01 The benefits of exploring different cultures through food
- 35:56 What does a healthy family mean to you?
- Check out our newly designed website!
- Shop our #WhatsYourCause shirts & give back to Feeding America
- Follow MeatlessMonday on Instagram & Facebook
- Get recipe ideas from Meatless Monday
- Jump Start Dinner with These Conversation Starters
- Kids Cook Monday
- Slow Food International
Other Podcast Episodes to Check Out:
- Episode 52: Fresh Produce 101: How to Pick, Clean & Store
- Episode 48: Conquering Mealtime Struggles
- Episode 35: Helpings Kids Make Good Choices
Healthy Family Project Podcast
Conversations covering hot topics in the world of health, food and family with a dose of fun. Helping families ease their way into a new fresh and healthy world.
Be on the lookout for new bi-weekly episodes and don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or your favorite podcasting site. If you like an episode, make sure to leave a rating and comment.
If you are interested in being a guest on the Healthy Family Project podcast, contact email@example.com with your topic idea for consideration.