Casseroles and comfort food go hand-in-hand. Many call for a sodium-filled condensed soup, but did you know it’s super easy to make your own with the help of a few pantry staples like flour, milk and broth? This quinoa-based casserole is packed with protein and nutrient-rich veggies like mushrooms, kale and onions.
Mushroom, Kale & Chicken Quinoa Casserole
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 1 5 oz. package organic baby kale
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups quinoa cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut chicken in half and place in large casserole dish. Season with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Bake 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and let cool before shredding. Set aside.
- While chicken is baking, heat 2 Tbsp. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook 7-10 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add kale and cook 3-5 minutes, or until wilted. Stir in flour to coat vegetables. Stir in milk, broth and water, and simmer 2-3 minutes, or until sauce starts to thicken slightly
- Transfer vegetables and cooked quinoa to the casserole dish and mix with shredded chicken.
- Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and 1 Tbsp. olive oil in small bowl. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes, or until bubbly.