A healthy, gluten-free way to enjoy your favorite Italian flavors! Whether going for classic comfort food or an elegant dinner, this vegetarian eggplant rollatini is easy to make and a great way to get kids involved in the kitchen.
- 2 eggplants, sliced ¼-inch thick lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped kale
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, divided
- 1 cup (plus ¼ cup) low-sodium marinara sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place eggplant on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until eggplants soften. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Combine ricotta, kale, egg, Parmesan, 1 Tbsp. basil in large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Evenly spread ¼ cup marinara sauce on bottom of 11x8-inch baking dish.
- Place eggplant on work surface and scoop 2 Tbsp. filling onto one side of eggplant. Roll up and place in baking dish. Repeat with remaining eggplant. Top with 1 cup marinara and mozzarella.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes, or until cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with 1 Tbsp. basil.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 12gSodium: 573mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 11.5g