Five Healthy 5 Ingredient Or Less Snacks Kids Can Make Themselves
Looking for a healthy snack that the kids can make themselves? Here are 5 healthy snacks with 5 ingredients or less that the kids can make when they get home from school! While this post is sponsored by Dairy Council of Florida, our love of dairy and healthy snack options are our own.
What’s the first thing your kids do when they get home from school? After throwing their book bags where they don’t belong, mine usually head straight to the refrigerator and pantry looking for a snack. And when they don’t see something that they want immediately, I hear the “Mom! I’m hungry! We don’t have anything to eat!”
I am a healthy food blogger and a mom…do you actually think there is no food in my house?! No! There is plenty of food in my house, it’s just that the kids need a little creative direction when it comes to grabbing some snacks.
So, with winter break coming up and since the kids will be home for a few weeks, I figured now was the time to have them get involved in the kitchen making some easy, healthy snacks that are also a little fun. Kids are more likely to eat something when it looks fun right?! Who am I kidding, I am too 😉 Like these Rudolph Grilled Cheeses….my kids love them! They are super easy to make, but there is just something about a sandwich that looks like a reindeer that is way cooler than a plan ole sandwich!
All of our healthy 5 ingredient snack recipes are below, so be sure to scroll down to get them all!
A smoothie is more likely to be made if it looks like the Grinch. And this Grinch smoothie even has some veggies in there 😉 We love making smoothies at home, they are ready in just minutes and it’s a great way to get in a few extra servings of fruit and vegetables. And dairy! Did you know that milk has 13 essential nutrients in it? Therefore this Grinch Smoothie is not only fun, but it’s great for the kids. Feel free to make one for you too!
Yogurt will be the snack they want if it’s a cute snowman. To make this fun snowman yogurt treat all you need is vanilla yogurt, fresh blueberries, some coconut flakes, a mandarin segment for the nose and pomegranate arils for the scarf. Oh, and a little creativity! That’s the fun part!
The pizza they will really want is one that’s topped with fruit if it reminds them of winter and the fact that they get to play with their friends all day and sleep in. These simple fruit yogurt pizzas have a rice cake base then are topped with vanilla yogurt, fresh blueberries and some sprinkles. Because who doesn’t love sprinkles?
Craving a sweet treat? Kids will happily snack on this peppermint chocolate yogurt bark. Especially if they made it themselves! Have you ever made yogurt bark before? I will be honest, this is the first time I have made it and I was amazed how easy it is to make yogurt bark! You need…yogurt! And your toppings! How fun is that?! The kids will love spreading the yogurt out on the baking sheet and picking all their favorite toppings. Since we are celebrating winter, we added in some peppermint candies. Even though it’s still warm here in Florida (compared to everywhere else 😉 ) this time of the year, we still love all the flavors of the season! What’s really fun about making yogurt bark is how customizable it is, feel free to add in fruit, pistachios, pretzel pieces…you name it!
Well, everyone loves hot chocolate. Especially this time of the year! There is something comforting about sitting on the couch with the family and cuddling under a holiday blanket and binge watching all your favorite Hallmark channel movies with a cup of hot cocoa in hand. What we really love about these chocolate covered spoons is that they make making hot cocoa that much easier. Just warm your milk and stir! These chocolate covered spoons are customizable too! Everyone loves sprinkles, right? So feel free to add them to your chocolate covered spoon! Like a bit of peppermint in your hot cocoa? Add some peppermint pieces to your chocolate covered spoon. Let the kids get creative here, I mean, there’s no wrong way to enjoy hot chocolate is there?!
What is great about all these snacks is that they use similar ingredients, so you don’t have to run out to the store and buy a bunch of different items. Plus, the ingredients in them are almost always in my house anyway, so it was just a matter of grabbing the kiddos and heading to the kitchen for a little fun.
Like I mentioned, all these healthy snacks are super easy to make, so the kids can make them on their own. So, when the kids get bored on day 2 of winter break, tell them to have a kitchen creation day with friends and make these yummy snacks! We did put a winter-theme on all these snacks, but don’t let that stop you (or the kids!) from making these healthy 5 ingredient snacks all year long!
Here are the key ingredients for all 5 of our easy healthy snacks
- Whipping cream
- Peppermint candies or candy canes
- Chocolate chips
- Freeze dried strawberries
- Coconut flakes
- Rice cakes
Each of easy snacks have dairy in them, did you know that we are supposed to have three servings of dairy a day? Yep! And by having just one of the below snacks, you and the kiddos will be getting in a healthy dose of dairy for the day.
Now, let’s share some easy snack recipes that all have 5 ingredients or less and the kids can definitely make them themselves shall we?
How to make a healthy Grinch-tastic Smoothie
- 2 cups Spinach
- 3 Kiwis
- 1.5 cups Milk we used 2%
- Whipped cream
- Freeze Dried Strawberries
- Add spinach, kiwis, and milk to blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to mason jar or your favorite clear cup.
- Top with whipped cream and crushed freeze dried strawberries.
How to make a Wintery Snowman Yogurt Bowl
Snowman Yogurt Bowl
- ⅔ cup Vanilla Yogurt
- 6 Blueberries for the eyes and mouth
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
- 1 mandarin segment cut into triangle for snowman nose
- pomegranate arils for the scarf if desired
- Put the yogurt in the bowl.
- Use the blueberries, mandarin, coconut flakes and pomegranate arils to create your snowman face.
How to make a Snowflake Fruit “Pizza”
Snowflake Fruit Rice Cake Pizzas
- 4 Rice cakes
- ⅓ cup vanilla Yogurt
- ½ cup Blueberries
- 2 tbsp sprinkles
- Use spatula to spread vanilla yogurt over rice cakes. Top with sprinkles and place blueberries in a snowflake shape
How to make Chocolate Peppermint Yogurt Bark
Peppermint Chocolate Yogurt Bark
- 2 cups Vanilla Yogurt
- ¼ cup Crushed candy cane or peppermint candies
- ⅓ cup milk chocolate chips
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Evenly spread yogurt over parchment paper.
- Microwave chocolate chips at 30 second intervals until fully melted. Transfer melted chocolate to a sandwich bag and cut one of the corners for an easy chocolate drizzle over the yogurt.
- Drizzle chocolate over yogurt and top with crushed candy canes.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours.
How to make Chocolate Covered Spoons for Hot Chocolate
Chocolate Spoons For Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Sprinkles for topping
- Use double boiler method to melt chocolate chips.
- Dip spoons into melted chocolate and lay them on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rest spoons against a higher surface (we used a box of spaghetti) so chocolate doesn’t slide off before hardening.
- Before the chocolate cools, top with sprinkles.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or until chocolate has hardened.
- Dip in a warm cup of milk when ready to make the perfect cup of hot chocolate!
Love these out-of-the-box sweet treat ideas!!