This hot sandwich is perfect for a cool fall or winter day. Try serving with a small cup of our Lentil & Veggie Soup when the family is craving a sandwich and soup.
Grilled Veggie Panini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 asparagus spears chopped
- 1/2 medium sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 1/2 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 8 basil leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup low-fat Italian dressing
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat; add asparagus, onion, pepper and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook 8 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place one slice of bread butter-side-down on skillet. Top with 1 Tbsp. cheese, basil, vegetables, 1 Tbsp. cheese and slice of bread with butter-side-up. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until browned. Flip and continue cooking 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with vinaigrette for dipping.