Getting tired of the same old sandwich routine? Myself and the kids loved this fun and Easy Picnic Bento Box this Summer and now we are excited to pack it for the upcoming school year! Capture your favorite summer picnic foods in the form of a bento box! Better yet, the kids can help whip up this delicious chicken salad and assemble into their bento boxes themselves!
I think this Easy Picnic Bento Box is perfect all year long with chicken salad, ants on a log, and some fruit. This meal will fuel anyone’s day with protein, fruits, and vegetables! We gave the normal chicken salad a little makeover by swapping Greek yogurt for the mayo and adding grapes. So it is a little lighter than the normal mayo based salad. Since we try to add as many fruits and vegetables into our packed lunches as possible, we added the grapes right to the chicken salad. Then we packed a few of our favorite fruits and veggies on the side. So use what your family likes whether it is blueberries, carrot sticks, or string cheese.
Nutrition Tip: Greek yogurt is not only a delicious option, it contains high levels of lactic acid which promotes gut health.
Want to have the kids help pack their own lunches? This bento box idea is perfect for them to help with. Offer to read off the ingredients as they mix it all together in a bowl. Then they can scoop it right into their own box and then assemble with their favorite sides, crackers, etc.
Key Ingredients for Easy Picnic Bento Box
- Chicken– this lean protein is great for our bone health, helps fight off colds, and is good for the heart. My kids love chicken, so I knew this chicken salad would be a new favorite with them.
- Greek Yogurt– we chose Greek yogurt in place of mayo for less sugar and added protein and it was a great choice! If you want to use mayo or a whipped dressing, that will work, too.
- Grapes– this heart healthy fruit is a staple and our house as a healthy snack, toss them into this recipe for a little added sweetness!
- Strawberries– our absolute favorite fruit showcases as a perfect side/dessert in this bento box.
- Celery– Celery is a very good source of folate, potassium, and fiber. Most households keep it around for snacks, soups, and bases to many recipes. Celery in chicken salad adds a nice crunch and flavor.
- Peanut Butter (or nut butter of choice) for ants on a log as a nice sweet healthy treat!
Make sure to check out our Health Benefits of Grapes post, too!
How to make this Easy Chicken Salad Picnic Bento Box
First make the chicken salad by adding the cooked chicken, Greek yogurt, honey, mustarr, and garlic powder. Salt and pepper to taste and mix it all up.
Then stir in the grapes, pecans, and onions.
Next assemble the Ants on a Log with celery, peanut butter and raisins.
Serve with your favorite crackers and strawberries or sides of choice.
Make sure to PIN IT!
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox.
Looking for more lunchbox solutions?
- 25+ Nut Free Lunchbox Ideas
- 34+ Non-Sandwich Lunchbox Ideas
- 10+ Ways To Add More Fruits & Veggies To Your Child’s Lunchbox
- Ultimate Guide For Packing Healthy Lunches
- 12+ Gluten-free Lunchbox Ideas
Easy Picnic Bento Box
- 6 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2/3 cup red seedless grapes
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 stalk celery cut into thirds
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 15 raisins
- 8 whole wheat crackers
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- Mix yogurt, honey, mustard, garlic powder, pepper and salt in large bowl. Add chicken, grapes, pecan and onions. Mix well.
- Assemble Ants on a Log with celery, peanut butter and raisins.
- Serve with crackers and strawberries.