Wait, there’s eggplant in there? This flavorful combo will have the family focused on a second helping rather than the assortment of veggies. Plus, eggplant is often called brain food due to the many health benefits of the vegetable.
Nutrition Tip: Did you know that eggplants are actually a type of fruit? There are many varieties, but all contain powerful antioxidants in the peel that support a healthy brain, heart, and skin.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cup whole grain penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add eggplant and garlic, and cook 3 minutes. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Add tomatoes (undrained), salt and pepper, and cook 5 minutes. Add pasta and stir to combine.
- Served topped with cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271Total Fat: 11gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 347mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g