In this episode of Healthy Family Project, we chat with Pamela Riemenschneider about how families can reduce food waste at home. Reducing food waste is a big concern for many families, with Americans wasting an estimated $218 billion dollars worth of food in 2017.
Pamela shares easy ways your family can help reduce food waste, ways to use all of your fruits and veggies, how to properly store fruits and veggies for longer shelf life, lunchroom waste and the truth behind expiration dates.
Pamela is a mom of two boys and the retail editor for Blue Book Services. She grew up in the world of fresh produce and has been part of the fresh produce industry for more than 10 years.
Healthy Bite Featuring Arctic Apples
Today, we’re snacking on Spiced Apple Quesadillas made with Arctic Apples® nonbrowning apples! This recipe comes together in no time with simple ingredients for a healthy snack or quick meal that your kids will love. Use pre-sliced apples from Arctic Apples® to cut down on prep time and clean-up.
Thank you so much for supporting the Healthy Family Project Podcast! We’d love it if you could take 5 minutes to let us know how we can bring you the best possible content for future episodes. Take the survey here.
Healthy Recipes & Tips in Your Inbox
Sign up for the Healthy Family Project e-newsletter to receive healthy recipe inspiration, our latest blog posts and more directly to your inbox each week.
Healthy Family Project Facebook Group
Join our Healthy Family Project Facebook group! This group will serve as a safe space for parents and caregivers to talk all about raising a healthy family – from dealing with a picky eater and tips to get more fruits and veggies onto plates to exercising as a family and mental health. We welcome all of you to join in!
Want to skip straight to a hot topic? See time stamps below. But of course, we recommend listening all the way through!
- 3:04 Welcome, Pamela!
- 7:33 Easy ways families can reduce food waste at home
- 15:58 Tips to take full advantage of fruit and veggies
- 21:33 Healthy Bite Featuring Arctic Apples
- 25:30 Lunchbox/cafeteria food waste
- 32:45 Expiration dates vs best buy dates vs when food goes bad
- Long-Lasting Fruits & Vegetables for a Well-Stocked Kitchen
- 7 Tips to Reduce Food Waste & Save Money
- Guide to Storing Fresh Produce
- 10 Frozen Food & Veggies to Always Have on Hand
- Make Your Own Veggie Stock
- How to Keep Sliced Apples from Browning
- Foodkeeper App for Expiration Dates
- Produce Blue Book
- Produce with Pamela
Other Podcast Episodes to Check Out:
- Episode 52: Fresh Produce 101: How to Pick, Clean & Store
- Episode 45: Conquering Mealtime Struggles
- Episode 36: Dietitian-Approved Healthy Grocery Shopping Tips
Healthy Family Project Podcast
Conversations covering hot topics in the world of health, food and family with a dose of fun. Helping families ease their way into a new fresh and healthy world.
Be on the lookout for new bi-weekly episodes and don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or your favorite podcasting site. If you like an episode, make sure to leave a rating and comment.
If you are interested in being a guest on the Healthy Family Project podcast, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your topic idea for consideration.