It’s no secret that spinach is one of the most popular superfoods out there. Bagged fresh spinach has become regularly available in grocery stores, and frequently on sale too. I find I can get through about 2 bags of spinach a week if I’m diligent with adding it to my family’s diet daily, and in several different ways so they don’t get bored (or catch on!).
Here are some of my favorite ways to get in a daily dose of spinach:
- Sandwiches: Use fresh spinach leaves as an easy swap in place of lettuce in sandwiches and wraps. Try our Ham Caprese Panini for something a little different.
- Soups: Throw a couple of handfuls of freshly torn spinach into soup a few minutes before it’s ready to serve. Not only does the spinach add an extra boost of nutrition but it also adds a nice pop of color! This Italian Orzo Soup with Meatballs is an easy and healthy weeknight soup that your whole family will love.
- Salads: Spinach salads are more popular than ever, and for good reason too. Fresh spinach is a great base for salads whether you are adding fruits or vegetables (or both!) to it. Take advantage of whatever is in season and get creative! This Spinach and Strawberry Salad is my daughter’s favorite.
- Smoothies: Throw a handful of spinach into a fruit smoothie and I promise no will ever question it. If your kids are young enough name your smoothing something fun (like Green Monsters or Shrek Juice!), the color green definitely keeps things interesting. Try our Super Green Smoothie for breakfast or an afternoon snack!
- Eggs: Egg scrambles are very popular in my house and adding a handful of torn spinach to the pan first makes for a delicious and nutritious start to your day. Frittatas and egg muffins are also a great way to get spinach in with your eggs – try out our Florentine Egg Muffins or this Spinach and Egg Breakfast Sandwich to start your day off delicious!