Traditional spinach dip is usually loaded with cream cheese or sour cream. This lightened-up version is made with Greek yogurt for a healthier, but still creamy and delicious, version.
Spinach dip is one of those great appetizers that can be served year-round – hot or cold. It’s always a must for the Super Bowl or any game day celebration and makes appearances at just about any birthday party, holiday celebration or cookout.
Here’s what you need:
- Spinach: No brainer here! We opted for fresh spinach over frozen since there’s no need the thaw or drain out all that extra water.
- Onions & Carrots: We like a few extra veggies in our dip for some added crunch. Finely chop them to add.
- Plain Greek Yogurt: We used nonfat, but any plain Greek yogurt works.
- Mayonnaise: To cut the tartness of Greek yogurt, we also used a little reduced-fat mayonnaise to keep things creamy.
- Parmesan cheese: When it comes to Parmesan, always go fresh over the stuff in the green can. You’ll get so much more flavor.
- Salt, garlic and oil: For sauteing and seasoning.
This dip is really easy to throw together too. Saute the onions and carrots, then add the garlic and spinach. Mix the yogurt, mayonnaise, cheese and salt, then add to skillet. Let everything heat together and those flavors combine.
If you’re like me, you’re ready to dip in at this point (let it cool first!) so grab your pita chips, crusty bread or fresh veggies. You can serve this spinach dip hot or cold.
Looking for other appetizers or dips for your celebration? Here are a few of our favorites:
Lightened-Up Spinach Dip
healthier, but still creamy and delicious, version.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- ¼ cup grated carrots
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb. fresh spinach chopped
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Stir in garlic and spinach and cook 2-3 minutes or until spinach wilts.
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, cheese and salt in medium bowl.
- Add yogurt mixture to pan and stir to combine. Heat 2-3 minutes, or until warmed.
- Serve hot or cold with pita chips, crusty bread or veggies for dipping.