Perfect for warm summer nights, this salad using grilled stone fruit is tasty, sweet and salty.
Savor the Flavors of Summer with a Grilled Stone Fruit Salad!
Hey there, busy moms and dads! Let’s make the most of summer’s bounty with a delightful and nutritious dish that will impress your family and friends – a Grilled Stone Fruit Salad. What I love about this salad is that it’s bursting with vibrant colors, fresh flavors, and a hint of smokiness from the grill. Trust me when I tell you, this salad is a true showstopper. It’s perfect for those warm evenings when you want something light yet satisfying. So, let’s dive in and create a memorable salad that will leave everyone asking for seconds!
What Makes This Grilled Stone Fruit Salad so Special?
I love that this salad is filled with delicious nectarines and plums – both are packed with vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. It’s also a nutritious choice that won’t weigh you down. Since it’s naturally low in calories, it can be enjoyed guilt-free as a main course or side dish.
For example, you could pair it with a protein such as grilled chicken breast, shrimp, or tofu to the salad for an extra protein boost. And voila! You’ve got a yummy combination that creates a well-rounded and satisfying meal. It also complements grilled fish or lean meats perfectly giving a burst of freshness and color to any protein-focused meal.
Summer is the perfect time to savor the abundance of fresh stone fruits like nectarines and plums. Simply put, the Grilled Stone Fruit Salad captures the essence of summer with its vibrant colors and juicy, sweet flavors.
A Peek Inside – The Grilled Stone Fruit Salad Ingredients
Here’s a quick look at all the yummy ingredients and why they are so good for you!
- Nectarine: Packed with vitamins A and C, nectarines support a healthy immune system. They also provide dietary fiber, which aids digestion and promotes satiety.
- Plums: Rich in antioxidants, such as phenolic compounds, plums help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals. They also contain vitamins A and C, promoting healthy skin and immune function. Finally, plums are a good source of dietary fiber, aiding digestion and supporting gut health.
- Spring Mix: Spring mix typically includes a variety of leafy greens like lettuce, spinach, and arugula. These greens are packed with essential vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin K, vitamin C, and folate. They are also low in calories and high in fiber, helping to support healthy digestion and contribute to weight management.
- Strawberries: Strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C, which supports the immune system and helps with collagen production for healthy skin. They contain antioxidants, including anthocyanins, which may have anti-inflammatory and heart-protective benefits as well. Finally, strawberries are also a good source of dietary fiber, promoting digestion and helping to regulate blood sugar levels.
- Chickpeas: Chickpeas are a great plant-based source of protein, making them suitable for vegetarians and vegans. They are rich in dietary fiber, which aids digestion, promotes satiety, and helps regulate blood sugar levels. Chickpeas also provide important minerals like iron, magnesium, and potassium.
- Feta Cheese: Feta cheese offers a tangy flavor and creamy texture to the salad. It is a good source of calcium and protein, supporting bone health and muscle development. Feta cheese is lower in fat and calories compared to some other types of cheese.
- Sweet Onion: Sweet onions add flavor and a mild sweetness to the salad. They contain antioxidants, such as quercetin, which may have anti-inflammatory properties. Onions also provide vitamins C and B6, as well as dietary fiber.
- Lemon: Rich in vitamin C, which is essential for immune function and collagen synthesis. Lemons also add a refreshing and tangy flavor to the salad and help enhance the absorption of iron from plant-based sources. Lemons are believed to have detoxifying properties and aid digestion as well.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is a heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, which may help reduce the risk of heart disease. It provides vitamin E, an antioxidant that protects cells from damage. Olive oil also adds richness and smoothness to the dressing while providing a source of healthy fat.
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon mustard adds a tangy and slightly spicy flavor to the dressing. It contains no fat and very few calories. Mustard seeds used in Dijon mustard may have potential anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Salt: Salt enhances the flavors of the salad and dressing in moderation. Sodium is also necessary for proper fluid balance and nerve function. However, it’s important to use salt in small doses to maintain a balanced diet.
Including these nutritious ingredients in the Grilled Stone Fruit Salad adds a variety of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and dietary fiber to support overall health and well-being.
Related: Check out our other salads.
Meal prep ideas for the Grilled Stone Fruit Salad
Pre-cut and Grill the Stone Fruits:
– Prior to meal prep, halve the nectarines and plums and brush them with olive oil.
– Grill the stone fruits until they develop grill marks, then let them cool.
– Store the grilled stone fruits in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
– This way, you can quickly assemble the salad when you’re ready to eat without having to grill the fruits again.
Prepare the Dressing:
– Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, Dijon mustard, and salt in a small jar or container.
– Store the dressing separately in the refrigerator.
– Shake well before using and drizzle it over the salad when you’re ready to eat.
Wash and Prep the Greens:
– If using whole leafy greens, wash and dry them thoroughly.
– Tear or chop the greens into bite-sized pieces.
– Place the greens in an airtight container or a large salad bowl lined with a paper towel to absorb any excess moisture.
– This way, the greens will stay fresh and crisp for several days.
Prep the Remaining Ingredients:
– Wash and halve the strawberries.
– Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
– Thinly slice the sweet onion.
– Crumble the feta cheese, if it is not already crumbled.
Assemble the Salad:
– When you’re ready to enjoy the salad, simply combine the prepped greens, strawberries, chickpeas, sweet onion, and crumbled feta cheese in a large salad bowl.
– Cut the pre-grilled stone fruits into bite-sized pieces and add them to the salad.
– Give the dressing a good shake and drizzle it over the salad.
– Toss everything together to evenly coat the ingredients with the dressing.
Meal Prep Tips:
– Store the prepped ingredients separately in airtight containers or compartments to maintain freshness and prevent sogginess.
– It’s best to store the dressing separately to avoid wilting the greens.
– Consider portioning the salad into individual containers, making it convenient for grab-and-go lunches or quick dinners.
– To extend the salad’s freshness, you can place a paper towel or a salad spinner insert in the storage container to absorb excess moisture.
By preparing the ingredients ahead of time, you can easily assemble the Grilled Stone Fruit Salad throughout the week, saving time and ensuring a fresh and delicious meal each time.
Let’s make this Grilled Stone Fruit Salad!
Grilled Stone Fruit Salad
- 1 nectarine halved
- 2 plums halved
- 1 package spring mix
- 2 cups strawberries halved
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Combine salad, strawberries, chickpeas, cheese and onion in large bowl.
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, mustard and salt in separate bowl. Pour over salad and toss. Top with grilled fruit.